A CHILD CALLED IT
Biography Project for Mrs. Hemry's 8th grade Language Arts class
made by M.R 6TH hour
Dave Pelzer was born December 29th 1960 Daly City,California and is currently still alive at the age of 56
Dave's childhood was a harsh childhood. Dave suffered through painful abuse. Dave's mother was physically and emotionally abusive towards him from ages 4 to 12. In the book The Child Called It, he tells the reader about how his mother starved him, made him drink ammonia, burned him on a gas stove, and made him eat his own vomit. His father was an alcoholic so he did not try to resolve the problem, because he was drunk all the time. At the age of 12 Dave's teacher has been noticing what was going on and called the police. He was sent to a foster home.
What Influenced Dave
The struggle that Dave has had his entire childhood was sad. He decided to right books and start programs because he doesn't want anyone to go through the pain and struggle that he had to go through. He wants to help other children that where like him, and get them to safety.
- He was placed in foster care at the age of 12
- Joined the Air Force at the age 18
- He was named one of the Ten Outstanding Americans in 1993.
- #1 New York Times bestselling author of A Child Called “It", The Lost Boy, A Man Named Dave, Help Yourself, and The Privilege of Youth
- Overcame life threatening obstacles
- Enlisted in the U.S. Air Force at age 18
- Recognized through a number of prestigious awards
- Honored as one of the Ten Outstanding Young Americans
- HE LIVED!!!
The Theme of Dave's Life
Dave's life was horrible. He was abused daily. In the end he has taught us that everyone has a worse life. In addition he showed us strength.
Words of Advise
- “To help yourself, you must be yourself. Be the best that you can be. When you make a mistake, learn from it, pick yourself up and move on.”
- “The thing is, at the end of the day you still have to face yourself.”
These quotes have taught me that no matter who or how you act at the end of the day you are you and you cant change that.
"Dave Pelzer." Wikipedia. Wikimedia Foundation, 31 Mar. 2014. Web. 03 Apr. 2014.
"Dave Pelzer - The Official Site - About." Dave Pelzer - The Official Site - About. N.p., n.d. Web. 03 Apr. 2014.