Democritus and Aristotle
Importances of the descovery of Democritus and Aristotle
1. Aristotle Gold foil Experiment .
2.Democritus Cathode ray Experiment .
3. Aristotle believed in the for elements of air, earth, water and fire.
4. Democritus proposed the existence of an ultimate particle.
5. Aristotle felt that regardless of the number of times you cut a for of matter in half.
6. Democritus, develop the idea of atom.
7. Aristotle dismissed the atomic idea as worthless.
Atomic Model with different parts
400 B.C - Democritus thought matter could not be divided indefinitely. This led to the idea of atoms in a void.
350 B.C - Aristotle modified an earlier theory that matter was made of four ''element''. ear, fire, water, air. Aristotle was wrong. However his theory persisted for 200 year.
Facts about Democritus and Aristotle
- Aristotle married Pythias, adoptive daughter of Hermias.
- Democritus was also known for studying physics, astronomy, zoology, botany and medicine. He did not just limit his research to atoms.
- Aristotle was a student of Plato in the “Academy”. And like hi teacher, his main source of income is also teaching. He founded his own school known as the “Lyceum”.
- Democritus was a great philosopher in his time. He is the one who proposed the Ancient Greek Model which states that "atoms" are the smallest piece of an object