The Killers PDF / Summary
By Sara R.
THE KILLERS-SUMMARY/ PDF
The mission of the gangsters is accomplished.
The technique of the story
Reader’s opinion about the first and second scene – Structure of the story with regard to the relations among incidents and with regard to the attitudes of the characters.
Hemingway attitude’s towards his material
- Violent situations
- The hard- drinking and sexually promiscuous world
- The chaotic and brutal world of war
- The dangerous and exciting world of the bull ring or the prize ring
- The world of crime
- Characters: tough men, experienced in the hard worlds they inhabit and insensitive –like Ole Andreson
- Defeated men
- Hemingway’s attitude is like Robert Louis Stevenson: Pulvis et umbra
- The world in which this drama is played out is a violent and meaningless world
- Its characters attempt to impose some form upon the disorder of their lives, the technique of the bullfighter or sportsman, the discipline of the soldier, the code of the gangster which has its own ethic
- The typical Hemingway character is tough and insensitive- only for the fidelity of a code, to a discipline- sensitivity that allows characters to see their true plight
- For Hemingway the disciplined man is aware of pathos or tragedy
- For Hemingway the only way to hold on to honour, to individuality or the human order as against the brute chaos of the world, is to live by his code
- The hero finds himself
- Hemingway heroes are aristocrats because they practice a lonely virtue
- The mastery of discipline, the process of the initiation, the discovery of evil and disorder- Nick’s story.
- Hemingway character is simple, insensitive and tough
Main characteristics of Hemingway:
- Hemingway’s world: disordered and violent world
- In Hemingway’s works we find: the bullfighter, the soldier, the revolutionist, the sportsman, and the gangster
- The sensibility of Hemingway’s characters is in sharper contrast to the nature of his world. For Gerstrude Stein: “ Hemingway is the shyest, proudest and sweetest-smelling storyteller of my reading”- shyest meaning irony and understatement
- The underlying attitude: pity is valid when a man is seasoned by experience and, it is only earned by a man who never demands it – A man who takes his chances.
- His style is simple- even to the point of monotony. The characteristic sentence is simple, or compound, and if compound, there’s no implied subtlety in the co-ordination of the clauses. The paragraph structure is based on simple sequence. Unsophisticated characters and simple and fundamentals situations rendered in an uncomplicated style. A style which involves subordination and complicated shadings of emphasis. A style which tends toward complex sentences with many qualifying clauses and phrases that, at the same time implies an exercise of critical discrimination; the sifting of experience through the intellect which implies a distrust of the intellect in solving man’s basic problems.
- Hemingway’s writing is a result of calculation and not a matter of spontaneity or being naïve. His style is a dramatic device because of its appropriateness to the effect he wants to give to the writer.