- Using electronic voting systems, voters travel to a voting station as usual and authenticate themselves, but instead of writing their vote on a paper ballot and having that counted by hand, they use a computerized system.
- HAVA- Help America Vote Act was passed in 2002 to create a federal agency and provide funding to improve voting systems in the United States.
- India has also implemented widespread electronic voting systems in the 2014 elections.
- Optical Scanning Electronic Voting Systems: People cast their vote on a paper ballet and the system uses OMR technology ("scantron" technology) to count the vote. This is the simplest type of e-voting system
- Direct Recording Electronic Voting Machines: These are the systems that allow the voter to cast their ballot on a touchscreen, and the vote is tallied right on that machine. They are saved in that machines memory and are counted later