YOU.CO.DE Young community developers
Palermo (Italy) 14th – 20th December 2015
In recent years, there have been a growing number of initiatives promoting and strengthening youth involvement at very different levels – international, regional, national and local. New tools have also been created for those working in this area. Nevertheless, referring to “European Youth: Participation in Democratic Life”, Survey from 2013, 44 % of the respondents youth did not take part in the activities of any organisation within the past year. Other researches also reveal that lack of youth participation is a serious issue all around Europe. It also true that successful example of youth participation are often unknown, especially when it comes to youth-led projects in local communities.
Starting from these considerations, the international Seminar of the project “YOUCODE – Young Community Developers” has been planned with the main aim of starting a virtuous process to develop the skills of European organizations in the field of youth-led project management in the community development field for the creation of a strong network of youth organizations and young leaders that will cooperate in a long term perspective becoming a resource also for the other organizations all over Europe who wants to grow in this field.
This international meeting is targeted to 36 youth workers/trainers/leaders/key staff members, 3 from each of the 12 partner organizations, who have the competences to share detailed information about the support to or implementation of youth-led projects for the development of their communities, as he/she has participated in the project with a main role. 11 countries will be involved in order to cover a huge part of European Union programme countries and to share very diversified perspective and work methods.
Practices and tools shared by the participants will be gathered in an interactive toolkit which will be used in the second activity (TC) and will be shared through Salto Youth Platform and other on-line channels, so participants will be asked to contribute to the creation of the toolkit.
- CEIPES - Centro Internazionale per la Promozione dell Educazione e lo Sviluppo – Italy
- Asociación Cultural Otras Ideas – Spain
- CEIPES – International centre for promotion of development and education" – Armenia
- Egitim Ve Kalkinmanin Yayginlastirilmasi Icin Uluslararasi Merkez Dernegi – Turkey
- MTÜ Egomind – Estonia
- Pistes Solidaires Méditerranée – France
- International Centre for Sustainable Development – Greece
- Fundacja "Instytut Aktywizacji i Rozwoju Spolecznego" – Poland
- Peace Action, Training and Research Institute of Romania – PATRIR – Romania
- CENTRUL DE RESURSE PENTRU ADULTI SI TINERI – Romania
- CEIPES Hungary Egyesület – Hungary
- Grupo de Jovens Novo Mundo - Portugal
The travel costs will be reimbursed within the maximum amounts established by European Commission, as following:
Maximum travel reimbursement’s amount for each participant
Spain 275€ // Armenia 360€ // Turkey 275€ // Estonia 275€ // France 275€ // Greece 275€ // Poland 275€ // Romania 275€ // Hungary 275€ // Portugal 275€
- Travel days are 14th and 20th December 2015.
- In case some participants want to arrive earlier or stay longer in Palermo, they have to arrange accommodation somewhere else at their own expenses.
- According to the Italian National Agency travel reimbursement’ policy, it is not possible to arrive in Italy more than one day before the beginning of the seminar and is not possible to stay more than one day after the end of the seminar. If you have difficulties in finding suitable tickets we can ask to the Agency permission to travel in different dates. First partner organizations send the participant’s application forms to CEIPES (by October 5th), then CEIPES will confirm their participation to the project. DO NOT BUY THE TICKET BEFORE SENDING THE APPLICATION FORMS AND GETTING IN CONTACT WITH CEIPES.
- Food and accommodation will be covered for the entire project 100%.
- We will reimburse 100% of travel costs within the maximum amount covered by Italian National Agency (see Travel costs table)
- Visa costs will be covered up to 80€ for each participant.
- The reimbursement will be done at least 3 months after the end of the training course, when CEIPES will get the approval of the final report from the Italian National Agency.
- The reimbursement will be made in presence of ALL the travel bills and documents mentioned below and relevant for your case.
- Participants who will skip session will NOT be reimbursed.
- Reimbursement of the travel costs will be done based on the following documents:
- Original plane tickets OR email from the company in case of online tickets;
- Original train/bus tickets (the return ticket will only be reimbursed if previously bought);
- Original boarding cards OR printed boarding cards in case of on-line check-in;
- Proof of payment of the plane ticket (an original invoice if you get the ticket in a travel agency OR a screenshot/.PDF of your bank account movements if you buy it online).
- Taxi will only be reimbursed in early hours in the morning or late hours in the evening when no public transportation is available.
- The travel must be realized by the participants within maximum 1 day before the beginning and 1 day after the end of the training course. In case of longer stays there is no chance of reimbursement of travel costs (Italian National Agency rules)
- Missing tickets will not be reimbursed.
In order to facilitate the reimbursement process please bring with you a copy of all the documents/tickets and a copy of your document (passport or identity card). If you have a visa also copy the page where it is stick.
How to reach Palermo from the three main airports in Sicily?
- 1. From Palermo International Airport ‘Falcone e Borselino’
You can reach Palermo’s city centre from the nearest to the city airport “Falcone e Borsellino”(which is located on 35 km away) and the best options are:
- By bus
The service is managed by the company “Prestia e Comandè” (www.prestiaecomande.it) the buses leave every half hour and stop in the most important spots of the city (Politeama, Via Libertà, the Port, the Central Railway Station), the one way ticket costs 6,30 € and can be purchased on the bus. The first departure from the airport is at 5.00 a.m. and the last one at midnight at 12:00 a.m. The last stop is in Piazza Giulio Cesare (this is in front of the Central Railway Station) in the Palermo’s very city center.
- 2. From Catania International Airport http://www.aeroporto.catania.it
- By bus
You can reach Palermo also from the biggest airport in Sicily – Catania International Airport ‘Fontanarossa’:
In this case you can get the bus of ‘SAIS Autolinee’ company directly from this airport (http://www.saisautolinee.it/regionali.htm).
The journey takes approximately 3 hours and a single ticket costs 12 €. Go to the airport exit and turn right, there will be a square where you can find the bus and two stands where you can buy your ticket.
Here is the timetable for buses from Catania airport to Palermo centre and viceversa, from Monday to Friday: 4.30, 6.30, 8.30, 10.30, 12.30, 14.30, 16.30, 17.30, 18.30.
- By train
If you prefer to travel to Palermo by train, firstly you must to go by bus to Catania’s Central Station and from there you can get the train of Trenitalia to Palermo’s Central Station, but please note, that the journey time from Catania to Palermo by train lasts between 5 and 8 hours (with one change of the train in Messina), depends from the type of train, and the price for one way train journey is between 13 and 26 euro.
The departure ‘s times from Catania Central Railway Station to Palermo are: 9:20; 9:33; 13:56; 15:21; 16:20; 17:44;
- 3. From Trapani International Airport http://www.airgest.it/en/default.asp
- By bus
From Trapani International Airport you can get the bus of ‘Autobus Terravision’ to Palermo's Central Railway Station. The price is 11euro for one way ticket and 22 euro with return. The journey time is 2 hours.
Departure times from Trapani airport to Palermo (see the link below):
- By train
Firstly you can go to Trapani's Central Station, and from there take to Palermo's Central Station a train. The prices varies between 8 and 40 euro for one way ticket, depends from the type of the train. The journey time is between 3 and 4 hours.
Departure times from Trapani's Central Station: 05:43; 09:38; 10:48; 16:00; 17:48; 18:30;
Note that at your arrival you can already buy a return ticket for the bus(or train).
Remember that the training course is NOT a touristic visit or a holiday. This way your participation will be required at all sessions without exception.
Please keep in mind that not all shops and cafes in Palermo accept cards (credit or debt). For such please bring with you some cash.
Participants will be hosted in a hostel in Palermo city centre, the Domus Carmelitana Siculorum: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Domus-Carmelitana-Siculorum-Palermo/165404416834153. This hostel is located in a Catholic structure but we are independent from that and no religious practice will be done. You will find some images and religious symbols, so we kindly ask you to be tolerant and respectful since it will not be possible to change them. The rooms will be shared between 2 or 3 people from different countries. All rooms are non-smoker and it is only possible to smoke in the cloister. The hostel provides towels and sheets but you have to bring your own soap and other hygiene products.
The hostel is located in the most multicultural area in Palermo called Albergheria, near to Ballarò market. Ballarò is visited daily by hundreds of people, animated by loud calls of the sellers that, with their characteristic and high-colored local accent, try to attract interest of the passers-by.
Within the market the greengrocers sell cooked foods, typical of Palermo’s cuisine, such as boiled or baked onions, “ panelle”, “cazzilli” (potato croquettes), boiled vegetables and octopus.
How to reach the hostel:
Address: Convento dei Carmelitani, Via Giovanni Grasso 13A
You have to reach the last stop “Palermo Centrale” for both train and bus (from Palermo airport, Trapani and Catania).
Map to reach the accommodation from the Central Station:
1. Piazza Giulio Cesare (where the train and bus arrive)
2. Go to Via Roma (the big street in front of the statue in the middle of the square)
3. Turn on the left to Via Trieste and walk it until the end
4. You will arrive to a big street called Via Maqueda, continue walking to Via Cesare Battisti and then in Via Mura di Sant'Agata.
5. Turn right to Via Porta Sant'Agata
6. Turn left to Via Giovanni Grasso. The hostel is on the right side (Ring the bell that says ‘Jonny’).
Hints to find the hostel:
- 1. Big brown door (you can see it on the picture on the left angle)
- 2. There is nothing saying it is a hostel
- 3. It is in front of a bar called ‘Bar della Plaza’
In case of questions please contact Irene Capozzi to the email email@example.com