Description of Career
A pediatrician is a doctor who provides medical care for children under 18. Every baby has a regularly scheduled check up called, "well-baby checks." At each check up, pediatricians check for the child's growth, weight, and development. They also advise parents ways to keep their children healthy.
Education Level Required
- Have a high school diploma or GED.
- Have a bachelor's degree.
- Graduate from medical school.
- Complete an internship.
- Pass a state licensing exam.
- Complete a residency program in pediatrics.
- Pass additional exams to become board certified.
Future outlook of career
Oregon's employment rate is expected to grow faster than the average for all occupations through the year of 2020.
The median wage for a pediatrician is $167,640 per year.
Depending on you, years of experience, hours worked, skills, personality, and professional reputation can also affect your wages.