By Daniela Mendiola, Diego Cortez, and Tyler Sherrod
Singapore physical map
Singapore political map.
- Singapore was founded in 1819 as a British trading colony.
- In 1963, it joined the Malaysian federation, but it became independent after being kicked out 2 years later.
- Singapore has now become one of the most wealthy countries with strong trading links internationally.
-They adopted their latest form of their constitution on December 22, 1965.
-Singapore remained under Japanese occupation for three and a half years.
Environment and Landscape
-The climate is tropical, hot, humid, and rainy.
-There are two monsoon seasons: the northeastern monsoon and the southwestern monsoon.
-The natural resources are fish and deepwater ports.
-Some issues the environment has are industrial pollution, limited land availability, and limited natural resources.
-Singapore is a focal point for southeast Asian sea routes.
Politics of Today
-They have a parliamentary republic.
- They gained their independence on August 9, 1965.
-The conventional long form of their name is the Republic of Singapore.
-The president of Singapore is Tony Tan.
- The prime minister of Singapore is Lee Hsien Loong.
- Singapore's GDP is $445.2 billion (2014)
- Singapore's currency is the Singaporean dollar.
- The unemployment rate in Singapore is 1.8%.
- Singapore is the 14th largest exporter and the 15th largest importer in the world.
- Singapore's primary export partners are Hong Kong, Malaysia, US, Indochina, China, and Japan.
- Singapore's primary import partners are US, Malaysia, China, Japan, Indonesia, and South Korea.
- 96.4% of the population is literate.
- 3% of the GDP is spent on education.
- Men are more literate then females.
- 6.7% of the youth population (ages 15-24) are unemployed.
- Students are guaranteed a world-class education by The Ministry of Education.
- The country has many religions such as Buddhism, Hinduism, and Confucianism.
- 33.9% of the population is Buddhist.
- There is also a small amount of Christians and Atheists.
- 16.4% of the population have no religion.
- Most of the religions come from mainland Asia.
- Singapore is famous for their nightlife.
- People enjoy going bar-hopping late at night.
- Singapore has a variety of sports available for all ages.
- Singapore has gorgeous malls with fantastic items to shop for.
- Singapore offers a lot of spas that serve herbal & spa therapy.
"Singapore." World Geography: Understanding a Changing World.
ABC-CLIO, 2015. Web. 21 May 2015.
"CIA Site Redirect." Central Intelligence Agency. Central Intelligence Agency, 30 Nov. 2010. Web. 21 May 2015. <http://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/sn.html>.
"Education System in Singapore." Education in Singapore,. N.p., n.d. Web. 21 May 2015. <http://www.focussingapore.com/education-singapore/>.