.....AND OUR DAILY LIVES.
WHAT IS FRICTION?
The friction force is the force exerted by a surface as an object moves across it or makes an effort to move across it. There are at least two types of friction force-sliding and static friction. Though it is not always the case, the friction force often opposes the motion of an object.
ADVANTAGES OF FRICTION.
1.It becomes difficult to walk on a slippery road due to low friction.when we move on ice it becomes difficult to walk due to low friction of ice.
2.we cannot fix nail in the wood or wall without friction as it is friction which holds the nail
3. A horse cannot pull a cart unless friction furnishes him a secure foothold.
DISADVANTAGES OF FRICTION.
1. The main disadvantage of friction is that it produces heat in various parts of machine. In this way some useful energy is wasted as heat energy.
2. Due to friction we have to exert more power in machines.
3. It opposes the motion.
4. Due to friction noise is also produced in machines.
5. Due to friction engines of automobiles consume more fuel which is a money loss.
METHODS OF REDUCING FRICTION
1. Use of lubricants.
2. Use of grease.
3. Use of ball bearing.
4. Design modification.