3 Great Things!
Welcome back! This issue of 3 Great Things! is packed with great ideas, tips, and information to get you started on the right foot this semester. There are far more than 3 Great Things! Read on...
Great Thing 1: The Distance Education Department has moved to WLC 305- look for the double doors. Same floor, same suite, just a different set of doors. Phone numbers are the same.
Great Thing 2: Moodle upgrade and new Moodle hosting. There are a few obvious changes- a new theme, icons that look a bit different. If you have any Moodle or online teaching questions, stop in at WLC 305. We'll have Hands-on Moodle Help in WLC 305, on August 18-21 (Monday through Thursday, 9-5). There will be laptops available for you to work on your courses with help on hand to walk you through any issues.
Great Thing 3: Student Moodle Sessions, in WLC 331 (Library computer lab) from 8-9 AM and 3-4 PM on August 18 and 19. Spread the word- students will receive a message about the sessions before classes start. These sessions were well received last spring- students appreciated the chance to ask their questions directly. We hope to help more students this time.
Great Thing 4: Creating engaging presentations to accompany your lectures is challenging. The writer of this blog shares tons of great tips, templates and assets, check out: http://goo.gl/NMLn1f. Explore all the resources available for great ideas.
Great Thing 5: Tools and tips to share:
- Remind 101 is now Remind. An excellent way to stay in touch with students and keep them on track. Several faculty are using it with great results. Check it out here: https://www.remind.com/
- Bullet Journal. There are tons of time management tools available online, but here's a pen and paper version that might appeal to people who can't quite find the right tool for them: http://www.bulletjournal.com/
- Getting Things Done - is more a process to help you stay on track and juggle all the demands of teaching and life, it's basic and customizable: http://gettingthingsdone.com/fivesteps/
- Google Cheat Sheets. This website (www.shakeuplearning.com) has several useful cheat sheets for Google Drive and sharing in Google Drive.
Bonus Great Things!
- Don't forget all WCC faculty and staff can access professional development through Starlink. Check your email for Starlink login information. Then login at http://www.starlinktraining.org/ and check out the large variety of topics available. Starlink presentations are accessible on and off campus.
- The Art and Science of Successful Online Discussions- from Faculty Focus: http://www.facultyfocus.com/articles/online-education/art-science-successful-online-discussions/?ET=facultyfocus:e95:213519a:&st=email Several excellent strategies are shared as tools for increasing student knowledge retention and success.