11 Delicious Facts About Peeps
Whether you prefer chicks or bunnies, fresh or stale, plain or chocolate-covered there’s a lot you may not know about Peeps, everyone’s favorite (non-chocolate) Easter candy.
1. IT USED TO TAKE 27 HOURS TO MAKE A PEEP.
That was in 1953, when Sam Born acquired the Rodda Candy Company and its line of marshmallow chicks. Back then, each chick was handmade with a pastry tube. Just Born quickly set about automating the process, so that it now takes just six minutes to make a Peep.
2. AN AVERAGE OF 5.5 MILLION PEEPS ARE MADE EACH DAY
All of them at the Just Born factory in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania. In one year, the company makes enough peeps to circle the earth—twice!
3. YELLOW CHICKS ARE THE ORIGINAL PEEP, AND STILL THE FAVORITE.
Yellow bunnies are the second most popular color/shape combination. Pink is the second best-selling color.
4. PEEPS USED TO HAVE WINGS.
They were clipped in 1955, two years after the first marshmallow chicks hatched, to give the candy a sleeker, more “modern” look.
5. THE EYES ARE THE FINAL TOUCH.
6. THEY REALLY ARE EVERYONE’S FAVORITE NON-CHOCOLATE EASTER CANDY.
For the past 20 years, no other non-chocolate Easter candy has been able to compete with the power of Peeps. With more than 1.5 billion of them consumed each spring, Peeps have topped the list of most popular Easter treats for two decades.
7. THERE ARE ALSO CHOCOLATE-COVERED PEEPS.
8. PEEPS LIP BALM IS A THING.
9. YOU CAN GET YOUR PEEPS FIX IN LIQUID FORM.
For the 2015 Easter season, Peeps has teamed up with Illinois’ Prairie Farms to produce a limited lineup of Peeps-flavored milk: Marshmallow, Chocolate Marshmallow, and Easter Egg Nog. The bad news? Unless you’re located in the Midwest, you won’t find them at your local grocery store.
10. 37,000 PEEPS WEIGH ABOUT AS MUCH AS ONE BOY BAND.
At least if that boy band is One Direction. The scientists at Just Born have estimated that it would take more than 37,000 pieces of marshmallow deliciousness to equal the combined weight of the London-based quintet.
11. THERE WERE APPROXIMATELY 2 BILLION PEEPS PRODUCED IN 2014.
To put that into perspective: Just Born produced nearly 57 times more Peeps than Apple sold iPhones last year.