This year marks the 25th anniversary of the Exxon Valdez Oil Spill.
SAVE THE BAY
There has been a massive oil spill . Your job is to save Casco Bay!
- To demonstrate what happen in an oil spill, fill a glass bottle two-thirds full of water. Add blue food coloring to make the 'ocean'.
- Pour 1/2-inch of cooking oil into the bottle. This is the "oil spill".
- Put on the cap and shake the bottle vigorously.
Your job is to clean up the oil spill before it pollutes the ocean, animals, and the shoreline.
- To a large pan of water with a sandy shoreline (mound of sand at one end), add cooking oil to simulate a spill.
- Please choose 3 materials for this list to assist with the clean-up.
cotton balls; straw; panty hose; paper towels; popcorn; sponges; sand; bandage pads; popsicle sticks; liquid dishwashing detergent.
AFTER THE EVENT
So, what can we as consumers do to mitigate oil spills?
- Drive less
- Lower thermostats
- Use alternative forms of energy
- Use fewer oil-based products
- Demand, and be willing to pay for, safer transport mechanisms like double-hulled tankers
As an environmentalist, you are tasked with designing an ad campaign that will heighten awareness of oil spills and how they can be prevented.