Mrs. Loring's 2nd Grade News
October 3rd, 2014
The PTA Fitness-A-Thon was a huge success today! The students enjoyed rotating through stations that allowed them to practice ways to be physically fit. Thank you to all of the parents that were able to volunteer to help make this PTA event a success! Also, thank you to those of you that helped your child fundraise for the event. If your child still has pledges to turn in, please have them bring them to school on Monday.
Picture re-takes will be next Thursday, October 9th. If you need a re-take order form, please let me know and I will send one home with your child.
We have spent a lot of time identifying the characters, setting, problem, and solution of a story that we're reading. We often use that information to create a summary of the story. While you're reading at home with your child, here are some questions to ask them that will enhance their understanding of the story:
- Who are the most important characters (main characters) in the story?
- How does the character feel when ______ happens?
- Where does the story take place?
- What is the problem in the story?
- How do the characters solve the problem?
- What did you learn from reading this story?
The Leader in Me
Habit Spotlight: Habit #3- Put First Things First
Put First Things First means to work before play. Encourage your students to come home and complete their daily reading, practice math facts, or finish up any work that they may have before playing. You can also encourage this habit with everyday routines or chores around the house.
"I get ready for bed first, so that I can read in my bed." -Sabra
"At home, I do my homework then I go to my friend's." -Owen
"I cleaned my room, then played with my neighbor." -Jason
- October 9th- Picture retakes
- October 13th- No School (teacher work day)
- October 24th- Fall Festival 2:00
- October 29-30th- Parent/Teacher Conferences
- October 30-31st- No School