Mark Twain Web Quest
Today we'll be taking some time to learn about Mark Twain, one of the greatest American writers. This web-quest has been designed to take you on a journey into the past to understand the history and circumstances surrounding the writing of Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain. By completing this quest, you will have the opportunity to enlighten your classmates' minds, deepen your appreciation for the past, and piece together the puzzle of 1876 history. Please submit your answers that are in COMPLETE SENTENCES and are THOUGHTFUL in a Google Doc and share THE URL with me.
1. What do you already know about the man pictured above?
2. Explore the following website to answer these 2 questions about the Mississippi River, an integral part of the novel. What are at least 3 states the Mississippi River runs through? What does "Mississippi River" mean in the Algonquian language? Website: Mississippi River
3. Explore these websites to answer these 2 questions:
What is Mark Twain's real name?
What does "Mark Twain" actually mean?
Website 1: Historic Twain Facts
Website 2: Twain's Name
4. Explore these websites to answer the following question:
What kind of boy was Mark Twain?
Website 1: Mark Twain's Childhood 1
Website 2: Mark Twain's Childhood 2
5. Explore the following website to answer the following question:
Q: As a boy, how did Mark Twain feel about slavery?
Website: Twain Growin' Up
6. Explore the following website to answer the following questions:
Q: How much education did Mark Twain have? Why did he leave school?
Q: What different jobs did Mark Twain have?
Website: Twain Biography Site
7. Twain is known for writing things that stick.
Explore the following website of quotes to answer the following questions:
Q: Write down 5 of your favorite quotes
Q: What do these quotes say about Twain's character?
Website: Mark Twain Quotes