al-Qaida in Iraq
1. al-Qaida in Iraq country of operations is Iraq. They have a base of operations throughout the center of the country between the two rivers.
2. The number of individuals in the organization who have undergone proper military training, and are capable of commanding insurgent forces, is largely unknown. al-Qaeda was so weakly linked together that it was hard to say it existed apart from bin Laden and a small clique of close associates.
3. The principal stated aims of al-Qaeda are to drive Americans and American influence out of all Muslim nations, especially Saudi Arabia; destroy Israel; and topple pro-Western dictatorships around the Middle East. Bin Laden also said that he wishes to unite all Muslims and establish, by force if necessary, an Islamic nation adhering to the rule of the first Caliphs.
4. There is an estimated amount of 1300+ al-Qaida members in Iraq.
5. al-Qaida was founded in 1988.
6. al-Qaida was part of the September 11 attack on the world trade center and the pentagon. They were also a part of the 1993 attack on the world trade center. al-Qaida involvement in Africa has included a number of bombing attacks in North Africa, as well as supporting parties in civil wars in Eritrea and Somalia. Islamists carried out a series of bombings in Istanbul killing fifty-seven people and injuring seven hundred.