Solutions Types & Properties
By Arron Girard and Laura Gomez
- there are 2 kinds of mixtures; heterogeneous and homogeneous.
- a heterogeneous mixture is mixture where the components and properties are not distributed uniformly throughout the structure.
- A solution is a homogeneous mixture because they have uniform composition and properties.
- Their are two components to a solution; solvent and solute.
- a solvent does the dissolving and a solute is being dissolved.
- solutions are part of our everyday lives. the chart below shows the different types of solutions:
- just like materials exist in 3 states, so do solutions.
- the three solutions are gas-gas solutions, liquid solutions, and solid solutions.
- a gas-gas solution is a mixture of two gases.
- a liquid solution is form when a gas, solid, or liquid molecule disperse and mix with a liquid.
- a solid solution is when the crystal structure of the solvent remains unchanged by adding more solute.
How many kinds of mixtures are there?
What are the types of mixtures called?
What kind of mixture is a solution?
The __________of a solution is determined by how much of the solute is present in the solvent.
A __________is a homogeneous mixture because they have uniform composition and properties.