Daryl TAN - Science 7K
Daryl TAN - SCIENCE 7K
Here are some information about Acids and Alkalis
Properties of Acids :
- Acids have a sour taste
- Acids dissolve in water to form solutions that conducts electricity
- Acids turn blue litmus red
- Acids have pH value less than 7
- Acids react with metals, carbonates and bases
Properties of Alkalis :
- Alkalis have a bitter taste and soapy feel
- Alkalis dissolve in water to produce hydroxide ions
- Alkalis turn red litmus blue
- Alkalis have pH more than 7
- Alkalis react with metals, ammonium salts and acids
What Happens When Acid Is Mixed With Alkali?
• When an acid and alkali react together, they neutralise each other. Their properties are removed.
• The pH value of the acid is increased while the pH value of the alkali is decreased. The neutral mixture has a pH value of 7.
• Water is formed together with a new substance called a salt.