Flappers and The New American Woman- Powerpoint / Summary
By Sara R.
FLAPPERS AND THE NEW AMERICAN WOMAN. –POWERPOINT. SUMMARY
CHARACTERISTICS OF THE BOOK: Only Yesterday, 1931 by Frederick Lewis Allen.
1. Dress-low cut; revealing neck and throat. Skimpy, shapeless and lightweight dress. The flapper dress took 7 yards (6 m). They worn pocket hoops to make their hips appear larger.-To enhance their bodies. They wore bustles -to exaggerate their backsides, corsets - to give an hourglass shape to their bodies. The silhouette was slim and straight -because the visual interest was woman’s legs. Thus, this was a problem for overweight woman who began wrapping their breasts and rubber girdles to flat their stomach and hips.
2. The skirt-rose to just an inch 2.5 centimeters below her knees. -revealing their knees.
3. She wore silk stockings twisted.
Bob hair, shingled very close to the neck- It showed the neck and even the ears.
What critics said about this new haircut?
- Bruce Bliven-New Republic Magazine: “The New Nakedness”
The Flapper’s Rebellion:
- Confused women about their role in Society and where they truly belonged
- Independence: mentally and economically. - The right to vote was thought to be one of the main causes for finding woman’s equality.
- Flappers believed in equality. -They were not feminists. They had fun in social arrangements and did not worry too much about taking control over factories or industries.
- They did what their grandmothers never did. Chewing gum, rode cars, kissed young man, smoked, drunk liquor and used slang words such as: horsefeathers and it is the cat’s meow!
- The increase of automobiles was a conditioning element for the rebellion of the Flapper. –Thanks to Henry Ford.
- The car gave freedom and privacy. -For snuggling and kissing escaping from their parent’s parlor.
- Silent Movies. The image of the Flapper with actresses such as: Collen Moore and Louise Brooks appeared on the screen dancing the Charleston’s dance - People to cuddle.
- By 1920, 400 million people went to the movies every week.