Week of 5/4/15
Miss Collins Classroom News
Late Start Monday’s (school begins @ 9:05am)
- May 4, 11, 18
- June 1, 8
- 5/5: Lunch Outside/Classroom: Due to voting in the gym, students will be eating lunch outside (weather permitting). Pizza lunch will be wrapped to-go. Please avoid packing lunches that require a microwave :)
- 5/9: Tin Can Auction 4-9pm
- 5/15: Half Day (11:30 Dismissal)
- 5/22: Talent Show (Gr. 3-5 Performances)
- 5/25: No School (Memorial Day)
- 6/2: Field Day AM (6/5 rain date)
- 6/4: Hunt’s Gym (end of the year party) 10:15-11:30. Picnic lunch to follow at Mason.
- 6/10: Half Day (11:30 dismissal)
- 6/11: Last Day of School (11:30 dismissal)
- sight words: the, to, and, a, he, him, at, with, up, all, was, said, his, that, she, out, as, be, have, there
- word family: -oy/-oi
*Spelling test on sight words every Friday*
We began identifying character traits during reading. This was done through mentor texts such as Arthur books, Molly Lou Melon and Chrysanthemum. We spent time discussing “outside” character traits (appearance), as well as “inside” (personality). This focus allows students to interpret meaning and inference during reading.
Our All About Frogs unit is almost finished! This week focused on our final written piece: All About My Frog. This non-fiction story includes many text features we have spent time identifying such as a table of contents, page numbers and factual information. These first grade authors have worked so hard on writing a professional story!
We will begin our New Plants unit during the month of May. Students will care for their own Brassica and grass plant cups during this unit. Students will have their own New Plant Journal where they will document the growth, what a plant needs to survive and practice the responsibilities required to care for a living thing…now they will know how you parents feel :)
- END OF THE YEAR PARTY INFORMATION PACKET IN BOOMERANGS TODAY! Please keep the first two pages of the packet for your reference. The packet includes an RSVP form, Hunt’s Gym waiver and a permission slip. Please fill out the necessary forms and return with your child. A SignUpGenius will be emailed out closer to the party date for our picnic lunch.
- Grosse Pointe Writing: First graders will take two Grosse Pointe Writing Assessments during the month of May. The goal is for students to include a clear beginning, middle and end and include first-grade foundational skills such as capitals and punctuation.