Major Beliefs of Socialism
Carlisle, Shane, and Alexis
When and why did the socialist movement begin?
- The socialists wanted the government representatives to have more control of the production of goods, trading and importing/exporting
- In capitalism the owners took a lot of the profit and workers who did all the dirty work got cheated
- Workers had long hours and small earnings
- Started in the 19th century and specific years varied depending on where you lived
What type of reforms did socialist want?
Main point: They wanted to make factories treat families with dignity, improve working conditions, and still make a profit.
- Government would own the property and wealth of a nation and put them to use for the common good.
- EQUALITY that would provide guaranteed healthcare, housing, jobs, education for citizens.
- They wanted to make cooperative industrial environment.
- They wanted woman and children who worked in the factories to be treated better, more fairly, and have better hours (instead of working all hours of the day)
- Regulate child labor.
- Robert Owen played a big part in trying to implement these reforms.
How is socialism different than communism?
- Socialism is when the government controls the big industries, such as healthcare and military, and there is common ownership for smaller companies. Creating more equal opportunities for everyone.
- Communism is when the government controls everything, health, military, and small businesses, there is no common or private ownership.