Amos and Andys / Summary
By Sara R.
AMOS AND ANDYS
- A sitcom set in Manhattan’s historic black community of Harlem. - Newspapers ran recaps of the previous night’s show.
- It was radio’s first major reality-based comedy show. – That was: durable, consistent and gentle.
- The show was very popular from 1920 to 1950 on radio and TV.
- Amos altered American life and the country itself.
- Radio was indispensable.
- Amos and Andy sold radio in 1930.
- An unusual racial sensitivity in an era when white men would portray blacks
- Late 1920’s radio exploded- being America’s dominant entertainment. – Gerald Nachman, a product of the radio years