The Byzantine Empire
Ties to the Roman Empire
How it was created: It was the Eastern half of the Roman Empire.
How the Byzantine Empire compared with the Roman Empire
Roman Capital: Rome Roman religion: Roman Catholic
Byzantine Capital: Constantinople Byzantine religion: Eastern Orthodox
Roman language: Latin
Byzantine language: Greek
-Roman other informaion: the western half of the Roman Empire, they fell into the "Dark Ages"
Byzantine other information: the Eastern half of the old Roman Empire, they grew strong and lasted for 1000 years.
Impact on Russia
- Religion: Eastern Orthodox which spread to Russia (known as Russian Orthodox.
- Trade: Many Byzantine ideas were introduced into Russia throught trade. Ex: Cryllic Alphabet, religion, art work, architecture.
Contributions to our Society
- Justinian's Code: The laws of the Byzantine Empire based on the "Twelve Tables" of Roman law became a basis for laws in many European Nations.
- Art and Architecture: Usually supported the Christian Church
- Preservers of Greek and Roman culture: The Byzantine Empire saved the knowledge, art, and ideas of the Old Roman and Greek cultures.
Why on Earth did the Byzantine Empire last so long?!
Three reasons, plain and simple. The Byzantine Empire had an organized government, they didn't get too big, and they simply just minded their own buisness and didn't get involved with anything that didn't pertain to them.