Vocabulary Set 3
By Bryson Getz
- Comes from the Greek roots "dokein" which means "to appear," "to seem," and "to think," and "doxa" which me and "opinion" and "judgment"
- Heterodox means to not be in agreement with accepted beliefs or holding unorthodox opinions
-Nicholas Copernicus' heliocentric model was viewed as heterodox because it clashed with the views in that time period, that the Earth was at the center of the solar system.
- Comes from the Greek root "gignoskein" which means "to know"
- A prognosis is a prediction ooh the outcome of a disease or any forecast or prediction.
- The prognosis for someone with rabies is not optimistic because when hydrophobia sets in, doctors know the patient will not survive the illness.
- Comes from the Greek root "krinein" which means "to separate," "to decide," and "to judge."
-A criterion is a standard, rule, or test on which a decision or judgment can be made.
- Although Bryson was neither very muscular nor masculine, he met the most important criterion for Victoria's decision on whom to date, being intelligent.
- Comes from the Greek root "mnemonikos" which means "mindful"
-Amnesty is a general pardon for offenders, especially for political offenders
- The poet fell to his knees after he rose from his underground hiding place, grateful that the new king granted amnesty for all of the charges of death placed upon writers
- Comes from the Greek roots "phren" and "phenols" which mean "heart," "mind," and "midriff."
- Frenetic means to be frantic or frenzied.
- Bryson cleaned his room at a frenetic pace, rushing because he was worried that he would not be able to finish before his girlfriend dropped by for a visit and that she would see his messy room.
-Comes from the Latin roots "ratio" which means "reason" and "reor," "reori," and "ratum," which mean "to calculate" and "to think."
- Rationale is the reasons underlying something, often presented as a statement and used with "for."
- Bryson's rationale for always keeping the lights in his room dimmed may seem silly, as he does it because dimming the lights makes it feel like a cave and Bryson likes to pretend he is Batman.