What do you see?
As a nursing major, my goal in this project was to incorporate my abilities of developing different perspectives within art. Additionally, knowing that there are various ways of interpreting situations, it is important to take into consideration what others' viewpoints may be. In my community, and in any for that matter, everyone comes from different cultures that consist of beliefs, values, traditions, and perspectives that determine how they think or look at things. In history, it is evident that social issues have led to wars and disagreements. This example truly highlights the concept of perspectives. However, more in depth to art, I was very astounded by the fact that photography is a great visual tool to determine people’s values and other important aspects. Not all perspective in life are seen as obvious, just like many of the works I have included in my collection. Some photographs may be clear and send an obvious message, but others, you have to think outside the box or get in touch with your personal experiences, beliefs, and way of thinking. A simple black and white photo may be dull to some, but can send a powerful message that may shoot a spark of question. Since our experiences are so different from one another, we also feel different about what we see. So, take the time to not only look at the photo, but think deeply about what it means to you, because it might bring back memories or raise awareness of social issues that occur in our daily lives.
- 1: Parc de Sceaux by Lynn Geesaman. http://www.jacksonfineart.com/Lynn-Geesaman-781.html Description: A row of tall trees are divided by a gap in which the sky rests. Created in 2007.
- 2: Boys Tethered by David Hilliard. http://www.jacksonfineart.com/David-Hilliard-814.html Description: A boy is rowing away from another boy that is holding or tied to a rope on a deck in a lake. Created in 2008.
- 3: Bleeder by David Hilliard. http://www.jacksonfineart.com/David-Hilliard-817.html Description: In the first section farthest to the left, an angled table is illuminated by light. The middle section shows a young boy eating from a tray of food alone. To his right sits another tray with food that seems untouched.
- 4: Home, Office, Day, Evening by David Hilliard. http://www.jacksonfineart.com/David-Hilliard-821.html Description: Angles of a woman in a pink bath robe looking into two mirrors with a young girl behind her firmly touching her back.
- 5: Blue Heaven by David Hilliard http://www.jacksonfineart.com/David-Hilliard-826.html Description: Various sections of an empty celebration setting which are separated by trees.
- 6: Recreation by David Hilliard http://www.jacksonfineart.com/David-Hilliard-828.html Description: A beach setting with two men standing firmly with their feet planted int the sand.
- 7: Bubba D Licious by Joseph Guay http://www.jacksonfineart.com/Joseph-Guay.html Description: A drag queen? A man? A woman? Either way, they're wearing a sparkled beaded shoulder exposed dress, blonde hair, long false lashes, and a censored box around their chest area.
- 8: Daybooks by David Hilliard http://www.jacksonfineart.com/David-Hilliard-3450.html Description: A naked man is lying upon a blanket with books in the middle photo and to the right, a man is sitting near a window seat reading a book.
- 9: Lather by David Hilliard http://www.jacksonfineart.com/David-Hilliard-3453.html Description: A woman standing outside a door holding an object in her hand. In the next room, a man is shaving his face near a sink.
- 10: Too Much For You by Angela West http://www.jacksonfineart.com/Angela-West-3549.html Description: A compilation of post cards posted on a blue wall created in 2009.
- 11: Jet Airliner #01 by Josef Joflehner http://www.jacksonfineart.com/Josef-Hoflehner.html Description: An airplane flies above two women in swim suits created in Miami FL 2009.
- 12: Tetrarch by Christopher Bucklow http://www.jacksonfineart.com/Christopher-Bucklow-4484.html Description: A light shadow of a male figure is illuminated in warm colors like red, orange, and yellow created Aug 1, 2007
- 13: Thirteen #5 by Vee Speers http://www.jacksonfineart.com/Vee-Speers-4638.html Description: A young girl seems caged in by the appearance of the attire she is wearing. The free birds almost contradict what should be in the cage created 2012.
- 14: Janes Carousel by Matthew Pillsbury http://www.jacksonfineart.com/Matthew-Pillsbury-4754.html Description: A carousel in movement inside a building or amusement park surrounded by people created in 2011.
- 15: Five Shotguns by Jody Fausett http://www.jacksonfineart.com/Jody-Fausett-4802.html Description: A blonde haired woman points a shotgun in a mirror of where which she is standing created in 2008.
- 16: Young Interracial Couple by Bruce Davidson http://www.jacksonfineart.com/Bruce-Davidson-4923.html Description: A young white woman held by the arms of a young black man near a lake created in NY Central Park 1992.