Biography Project for Mrs. Hemry's 8th grade Language Arts Class
Made by Victoria W.
Vincent Thomas "Vince" Lombardi was born June 11, 1913, in Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn and died September 3, 1970 from colon cancer.
Significant Events in History that Affected Vince's Life
- The Revenue Act of 1913
Vince Lombardi was brought up by a very strict but loving Catholic Church, it was also in his Italian Tradition. Vince was the eldest of all siblings. When Vince wasn't attending the mass for church, he was either working for his father or at Brighton Beach. He attended grade school at P.S. 206 and was known to be competitive and passionate to the core.
People who influenced Vince's Life
Marie Planitz Lombardi (wife)- Gave Vince encouragment when coaching football.
Jim Crowley (coach at Fordham when Lombardi played football)- Gave Vince a lot of good coaching in which he used later in life.
Harry (Enrico) Lombardi (father)- Taught Vince responsibility and to strive for perfection in everything he did, big or small.
- Vince Lombardi was the oldest of all siblings.
- Vince was a solid B+ student.
- Vince graduated in the top 25 percent of his class.
- Lombardi appeared on a stamp in 1977.
- Lombardi was one of the very few coaches to let gay football players play on the team because his brother, Harold, was gay and accepted it.
- January 28, 1959, Green Bay Packers named Vince the head coach and general manager of the team.
- Lombardi led the Green Bay Packers to win the very first Super Bowl.
- Won five super bowls with the Packers in just ten years with the Packers.
- Was inducted to the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1971
Vince Lombardi's former prep player recalls a memory.
The theme of Vince's life was..
Vince Lombardi expressed through is actions that being hardworking and never giving up on the things you do will take far in life.
Vince's words of advice and what he has taught me..
- Individual commitment to a group effort- that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society to work, a civilization to work.
- You never win a game unless you beat the guy infront of you. The score on the board doesn't mean a thing. That's for the fans- you've got to win the war with man infront of you. You've got to get your man.
Reading this biography on Vince Lombardi has taught me that striving for perfection should be an everyday thing, in big or small situations, and even if you aren't perfect the first time, you always have another chance.
- "Local Lombardis." Local Lombardis. N.p., n.d. Web. 08 Mar. 2015.
- Winning Is a Habit (Vince Lombardi). YouTube. N.p., n.d. Web.
- Vince Lombardi Teaches Football. YouTube. N.p., n.d. Web.
- "Discover Topical Stamp Collecting." Discover Topical Stamp Collecting. N.p., n.d. Web. 08 Mar. 2015.
- ESPN. ESPN Internet Ventures, n.d. Web. 08 Mar. 2015.