816-736-5340 ext. 2857
As you work through the chapters in your Algebra 1 course, you will be encouraged to think and to make conjectures while you persevere through challenging problems and exercises. You will make errors—and that is ok! Learning and understanding occur when you make errors and push through mental roadblocks to comprehend and solve new and challenging problems. In this program, you will also be required to explain your thinking and your analysis of diverse problems and exercises. Being actively involved in learning will help you develop mathematical reasoning and use it to solve math problems and work through other everyday challenges.
The focus of this course will be on the integration of algebraic concepts into multiple situations. Students will develop the necessary skills to read and analyze various problems and situations and apply what they've learned while utilizing the proper materials.
Pencil (or pen)
Folder for papers
Independent Reading Book
* Make sense of problems and persevere in solving them.
* Reason abstractly and quantitatively. * Construct viable arguments and critique their reasoning of others.
* Model with mathematics.
* Use appropriate tools strategically.
* Attend to precision.
* Look for and make use of structure.
* Look for and express regularity in repeated reasoning.
* PASS THE EOC!
Students are expected to assume responsibility for completing assignments in a timely manner. If you miss days, you'll have that many school days to get assignments turned in. Late work for daily assignments and projects will be accepted but only for 60% credit. If you are absent, be proactive in finding out what you missed. Check the google calendar on Blackboard. If a planned absence is known, talk to me ahead of time.
Grades will be 75% tests and quizzes and 25% homework.
Grades will be figured based on total points. Points will be totaled and converted to a letter grade using the following scale: A= 100% - 90% B= 89% - 80% C= 79% - 70% D= 69% - 60% F= 50% - 0%.
Academic dishonesty of any kind is unacceptable and will result in a grade of zero for all involved.
TECHNOLOGY & FOOD POLICIES
* Check classroom Blackboard site daily for course information, assignment postings, weekly schedules, and/or handouts and materials.
* Respect the teacher’s direction when to or when not to use technology.
* Only use laptops/cell phones/earbuds/headphones during class if directed by the teacher.
* Have earbuds/headphones available for use daily
* Check student school email daily
* Food & drink are permissible as long as they are not a disruption or a major meal and the room is kept clean.
I am available before or after school or during "A" Lunch to assist with your academic needs. Please schedule an appointment so I know to be available in the classroom.
Have a plan upon arriving at LH (what are you there to work on?)
Use tutoring time for productive activities (not games, social media, videos, etc.).
Check LH assignments regularly and attend assigned tutoring sessions.
What happens if I don’t show? → Detention
What happens if I don’t attend detention? → automatic ISS