What is identity theft?
When someone uses information about you without your permission. They can use your name and address, credit card numbers, social security numbers, and medical insurance account numbers.
How to protect your identity.
- Shred papers with personal information
- Take mail out of your mailbox
- Use passwords that are not easy to guess
- Do not respond to emails or other messages asking for personal information
- Only give your security number if you must
Why should I care if someone steals my identity?
- The thief can get credit for using your name.
- The bills go to the thief, but he never pays them.
- The credit card company will think you aren't paying your bills which will hurt your credit.
Can i protect myself from identity theft?
- Watch your wallet
- Do not tell people your pin number
- Be careful with your debit and credit card
- Have security software on your computer