A Tale of Two Cities
Novel by: Charles Dickens
Project by: Jack Fleischli
In 1775, Mr. Jarvis Lorry, an official of Tellson's Bank in London, accompanies Lucie Manette to Paris. He has information that her father, Dr. Alexandre Manette, who had disappeared eighteen years ago, is alive. Lucie is shaken when she learns that her father is still living. A wine-seller named Monsieur Defarge had been Dr. Manette's servant and has taken care of him after his release from prison. Both Mr. Lorry and Lucie are shocked to see the terrible state Doctor Manette is in. He spends his time cobbling shoes and is in horrible mental condition. Mr. Lorry and Lucie take her father back to London.
Five years later, in 1780, a young Frenchman, named Charles Darnay, is accused of being a traitor and a spy. He is found innocent after the jury sees Carton, who looks exactly like Darnay, and found him innocent under the condition that if that guy looks like him then it could be anyone. Later, both Darnay and Carton fall in love with Lcucie Manette. Carton is a lawyer who wastes his life drinking. Lucie doesn’t dig carton. His uncle hit a kid with his stage coach and revolutionist killed in his sleep. Carton in the heir to his uncle’s fortune but he doesn’t want it. Darnay later marries Lcucie and has a daughter wither her. Later as Darnay travels to France, he gets arrested. Dr. Manetter and Mr. Lorry try to help but ultimately a letter that Dr. Manetter wrote seals the deal to his death sentence. The night before Corton sneaks into his cell and swaps clothes so that he will be killed instead of him. He dies and the book ends with him stating that it was the best way he spent his life.
Themes of the Novel
The major theme centers on resurrection, bringing people back to life from the seemingly inevitable clutches of death. Dr. Manette is rescued from long imprisonment and certain death and nursed back to health by the loving attention of his daughter Lucie. Darnay is twice saved from certain death by the compassion of Carton. Others, like Foulon, are brought back from an apparent death, only to meet real death at the hands of the revolutionaries. These resurrected lives weave through the entire plot and hold the story together.
The first important event that occurred in the novel was when Dr. Manette was thrown into the North Tower of the Bastille in France. He was sent there recently after trying to help a family with a medical problem. But Dr. Manette had no idea why he was being accused of something he didn't do nor did he even know. The Doctor only knows who put him in there, the St. Evremonde family. After ten years the Doctor starts to go insane from being locked up for so long and causing a feeling of revenge to boil inside him that later will play a key part in the plot of the story.
Another important moment was is when Carton sacrifices his life.Carton comes up with a completely insane plan to save Darnay in prison. He does this all for Lucie's happiness. Carton sneaks into the prison, drugs Darnary, has John Barsad carry Darnay to the carriage where his family awaits, and they escape. All while Carton switches places with Darnay just to make Lucie happy and devote his true love by sacrificing his own life for Lucie.
The Film vs The Novel
Book: The book is very interesting with a compelling and moving story line. The personal and the political ideas are deeply connected, the characters were more complicated, and it had additional historical background regarding the French monarchy, feudal system, and French Revolution.
Movie(1980 directed by Jim: This made-for-TV version is a somewhat romanticized the book, but was still true to the main plot. They focus on the love aspect of the novel rather than the redemption/rebirth theme the novel really is centered around. It was a real pain to watch.
My Take on the Story
My take of the story takes place between the cities of Richardson and Highland Park, more specifically between Highland Park High school and JJ Pearce Highschool. It's Football season and rivalry is high between these two school.
Corton: An HP Kid named Connor who has long blonde hair, always wears a backwards hat and typically wears “frat” clothing. He is somewhat out of shape because of his party habits and feels like he has wasted his life but wants make him self worth something. He will be portrayed as Brad Pitt .
Darnay: Is a Pearce kid named Danny who looks identical to the Connor but wears normal clothes and carries himself better. He will be portrayed as Leonardo Dicaprio.
Lucie Manette: Lauren Mason, A girl originally from Richardson but moved to HP as a child with her grandparents when her dad got arrested for crime he didn't commit. She will be portrayed as Natalie Portman
Dr. Manette: Dr. Mason, Lauren's father who was arrgested for a crime he did not commit. He will be portrayed by Jeff Bridges
- When the Lauren figures out her dad is out of jail and living in Richardson, she decides to move back to Richardson and transfers from HP to JJ Pearce.
- At the Pearce, HP football game, the Danny is caught releasing air out of the footballs. During the UIL honor trial, the Connor happens to be there and the counsel notices that this Connor looks just like him, proving that it could be anybody.
- Danny starts to date Lauren who recently just moved from HP back to Richardson while Connor a crush on her for a long time
- The Connor parties a lot and is kinda trashy, explaining why Lauren doesn't like him
- The Connor's wealthy uncle runs over a dog that belonged to a boy in Richardson in his brand new BMW. The Connor’s uncle gets arrested by the Richardson police and the HP kid gets his car and his new house in HP.
- The Lauren and Danny often hang out in HP and go on most of their dates there to lay low from all the heat Danny has been getting from the football incident.
- One day, Danny gets stopped by the principle for letting out air during the football game, telling him new evidence has surfaced from a security camera image. On the day of the trial, the Connor goes to the UIL honor counsel and tells them that it was him that released air from the footballs during the Pearce-HP game. He took the blame as a way to redeem himself and was a way to tell Lauren that he still likes her and acknowledges that he is in the friend zone.
I choose Highland Park high school, JJ Pearce high school, and Hghlander Stadium because this is where most of the event of the story will unfold for the students including their day-to-day life, the eventful football game, and the student's trail
These would be Connor's Clothes because he is a Highland Park kid who thinks he is in a fraternity
This would be Danny's outfit because he is just your average high school student.