1. Plastic is the most common type of rubbish found in the sea.
2. One hundred thousand sea mammals are killed in the ocean by pollution each year
3. Oil spills suffocate marine life to death
4. Three hundred thousand dolphins and porpoises die each year as a result of becoming entangled in discarded fishing nets, among other items
5. Thousands of tons of waste and trash are dumped into the ocean on a daily basis
Ocean Pollution is caused when people just leave their rubbish on the park bench, or let it fly away in the wind. It then makes it's way into the sea.
When the rubbish gets to the sea, some animals, such as turtles, mistake the plastic bag for food and they choke on it, or it goes into their stomach and causes them to die. If fish eat rubbish, and we catch them, and eat them, we eat the chemicals or rubbish that was in their stomach.
What YOU can do
1. Use non-plastic containers
2. Put your rubbish in the Recycle-bin
3. Chase after rubbish that is flying away
4. Help take care of the beach
5. Be a animal friendly pet owner