Bipolar Disorder Topic-Mariah Martinez
- What is the characterization or definition of your mental illness? -A disorder associated with mood swings ranging from depressive lows to manic highs
- How many people are affected by your mental illness? -approximately 5.5 million Americans age 18 or older, or 2.6 percent of the adult population.
- How can someone tell if they have your mental illness? -People with bipolar disorder experience unusually intense emotional states that occur in distinct periods called "mood episodes." Each mood episode represents a drastic change from a person’s usual mood and behavior.
- What treatments exist to treat your mental illness? -You can't treat Bipolar Disorders but you can get the help you need by a doctor they might recommend medication and psychotherapy.
- How can people get help for the treatment of your mental illness? - They can take medication or speak to a therapist. Most of the time Psychotherapy is something that is recommended.
- What resources are available to help gain knowledge about your mental illness? -http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/topics/bipolar-disorder/index.shtml -http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/bipolar-disorder/basics/definition/con-20027544