Catcher in the Rye Reading Log
Chapters 1 & 2
"I act quite young for my age sometimes. I was sixteen then, and I'm seventeen now, and some times I act like I'm about thirteen. It's really ironical, because I' six foot two and a half and I have gray hair" (Salinger 13).
Chapters 3 & 4
When Holden proclaims, "This is a people shooting hat" (Salinger 30), he is telling Ackley that people shoot others in the hat. This quotation has relation to the topic, community, because Holden believes that when someone wears the red hat, people are shot, and community is when people come together.
Chapters 5 & 6
Stradlater wanted to have a quiescent night, but Holden decided to start a fight. Holden was indulgent to Stradlater's request of doing his english composition. Holden wanted to write a high quality composition for Stradlater, so he spent a lot of time ruminating on what to describe. Stradlater was not elated when he found out that Holden wrote then composition on a a baseball gloves and not a house. It seems like a lot of characters in the book have clandestine information about themselves.
7) Why did Holden go and talk to Ackley after the fight with Stradlater?
8) Why does Holden lie so much to Mrs. Morrow?
9) Why do you think Holden wants to make so many phone calls, but rarely goes through with them?
10) Do you think Holden feels lonely?
11) Why do you think Holden keeps talking about others and not about himself?
12) Do you think Holden wants to be so isolated?
13) Why did Holden pay a prostitute just to talk when he could talk to many others?
John Green Video- 3 Main Points
1) We can hardly imagine the world without images and we sometimes judge a book based on the actions in the book.
2) Holden wants to stop time and be anprotector of innocence. He wants to keep his friends and family away from the harms of adulthood.
3) Passive voices create distance and Holden Uses this because he wants to create distance. The words, "sort of" are used almost 200 times throught the book.
14) Why do you think Holden is afraid to call Jane and sleep with Sunny?
15) Why does Holden think adulthood is bad?
16) Do you think Holden is afraid to grow up?
17) Why does Hoden want to skip so many years of life and marry Sally?