Ethan Allen Boating Disaster
After you read the story "In the Heart of a Hero", do some research on the real-life story of the Ethan Allen tragedy. Then write a paragraph on what you learned. Cite at least two sources. Check with me before you choose which websites to read. Then think about the questions below as you write your paragraph. After you read your sources, you will know which questions to address, or talk about.
1) Who owned the Ethan Allen at the time of the tragedy?
2) Why did the boat capsize?
3) Why were most of the passengers senior citizens?
4) How many survivors were there? How many people died?
5) Besides the Harts, who helped with the rescue? Were the other rescuers similar to the Harts in some ways?
6) What happened after the tragedy? Was there a lawsuit? Why? What was the verdict?
7) Have there been any recent news stories about it?
8) Who was interviewed? Who was not interviewed?