Ecology Webquest

By: Alex Nobles, Mrs. Hunter, 1st

1.) Population

a. A population can be all the inhabitants of a particular town, area, or country.

b. No predators, Too much of a resource.

c. Competition, And Limiting Resources

2.) Community

d. A community can be a group of people or species living in the same area or place.

e. Communities are distinguished by the species living it it, or the resources in the community.

3.) Ecosystems

f. A ecosystem can be a biological community of interacting organisms and their physical environment.

g. Desert, Tundra, Temperate Forest, Taiga, Rain Forest, Savanna, and Grassland.

h. If one part of an ecosystem is damaged or destroyed it impacts everything else, it becomes unsustainable.

4.) Biodiversity

i. Biodiversity is the variety and number of every living thing on earth.

j. Biodiversity is important for the economic, medicinal, social and environmental value and also for its value in it self.

k. Abiotic factors are any non-biological factors that play a role in a organisms environment; non-living environmental factors.

l. Biotic factors are the living parts of an ecosystem.

5.) Food Chains

m. A person is called a Omnivore because they eat and plants.

n. Carnivores are animals that only eat meat.

o. Herbivores are animals that only eat plants.

6.) Food Webs

p. Red fox

q. Grass

r. Snails

7.) Energy in an Ecosystem

s. I learned that an energy pyramid shows energy in an ecosystem. I also learned that in a healthy ecosystem their are lots of producers, some herbivores, but not many carnivores. One thing I didn't know was that fish are carnivores, I thought that fish were omnivores like humans and other animals that eat plants and meat. I also learned that the food pyramid shows a way the ecosystem works.

8.) 10% Rule

t. The 10% rule refers specifically to energy transferred in a food chain. According to the rule, 10% of the energy is transferred to the next level. While the remaining 90% is used up metabolically for survival or lost as body heat.

9.) Carbon Cycle

u. Fossil Fuels, and in the Atmosphere.

v. Photosynthesis.

w. Energy.

x. Decomposers.

y. Diamonds.

z. Gases

aa. Respiration

10.) Nitrogen cycle

bb. 1 way is that the molecules of nitrogen are broken apart during lightning strikes or fires, another way is that the molecules can be broken down by certain bacteria or by bacteria associated with bean plants.

cc. By eating plants that were fertilized with rich nitrogen gases.

dd. Nitrogen is returned to the atmosphere when plants and animals die, because it releases the energy it ate.

ee. A way we impact the nitrogen cycle is when we build factories, another way is if to much waste is released into the atmosphere that plants are not able to take out through the process called nitrogen fixation.

11.) Water Cycle

The water cycle is the process by which water circulates between the earths oceans, atmosphere and land.

12.) Biomes around the World

ff. The biomes are classified according to the predominant vegetation, and characterized by adaptions of organisms to that particular environment.

gg. Freshwater, Marine, Desert, Forest, Grassland, and Tundra

hh. The freshwater ecosystems are the low-salt concentration, like ponds, lakes, and ect.

ii. The marine ecosystems cover about three-fourths of the earths surface, like oceans, coral reefs, estuaries, and ect.

13.) Human Impact: How Do Humans Affect An Ecosystem?



Soil Erosion

Extinction of Species



Greenhouse Effect