By: Shaylynn Stigger
About the Dominican Republic
*The population of the Dominican Republic is 10.4 million people (2013)
*The official language of the Dominican Republic is Spanish but they also speak French, English, Japanese, Arabic, and Chinese.
*The official religion of the country is Roman Catholicism.
*The Dominican Republic is a representative democracy. The U.S and the Dominicans relations are excellent. It is safe for us to travel there and for them to travel here.
*There are 4 significant mountain ranges, beaches, and the shores are washed by the Atlantic ocean.
*They claimed independence in July of 1924. Christopher Columbus landed on the island which became the first permanent European settlement in the Americans
Attractions throughout the country
Top 8 attractions in the Dominican Republic:
1. Santo Domingo- A historic site that shows the history of the country
2. Eastern National Park- A prime habitat for plants and animals
3. Punta Cana- A town which is the most popular tourist spot. It is packet with resorts and known for the most beautiful beaches
4. Playa Dorada- Most popular beach
5. La Romana- A village that has the best shops and crafts
6. Samana Peninsula & Samana Bay- Has marine animals
7. Jarabacoa- Waterfall
8. Bahia de Las Aguilas and Jaragua National Park- Beach
*Most of the scenery is mountains and historic places
*Historic spots are: museums and Museo De Las Casas Reales.
*Food: Many Middle-Eastern dishes have been adopted into Dominican cuisine, such as the "Quipe" that comes from the Lebanese kibbeh. Places to go are: las palmas and Vacabar
What it Takes to Get There (punta cana)
*Airfare this summer: would cost about $760
*Best time to travel: March to may0 when the "rush" is out of the city
*Best places to stay: resorts
*Living expenses are cheaper than the U.S