Education & Training
College or University Faculty Member:
Teaches and advises college students. Studies and meets with colleagues. Consults with government, business, and community organizations. May use computers including the Internet, electronic mail, and CD-ROMs; videotapes; and other teaching aids.
- Develops teaching materials.
- Prepares and gives examinations.
- Grades examinations and papers.
- Prepares and delivers lectures to students.
- Compiles bibliographies of materials for outside reading assignments.
- Compiles, administers, and grades examinations, or assigns this work to others.
- Advises students on academic and vocational curricula.
- Directs the research of graduate students working for advanced academic degrees.
- Conducts research, and publishes findings in professional journals.
Elementary School Teacher:
Teaches basic academic, social, and other formative skills to pupils in public or private elementary schools.
- Establishes and enforces rules for behavior and procedures for maintaining order among the students for whom they are responsible.
- Meets with parents and guardians to discuss their children's progress and to determine priorities for their children and their resource needs.
- Prepares students for later grades by encouraging them to explore learning opportunities and to persevere with challenging tasks.
- Prepares materials and classrooms for class activities.
College and University Administrator:
- Advises students on issues such as course selection, progress toward graduation, and career decisions.
- Directs, coordinates, and evaluates the activities of personnel, including support staff, engaged in administering academic institutions, departments or alumni organizations.
- Recruits, hires, trains, and terminates departmental personnel.
- Participates in student recruitment, selection, and admission, making admissions recommendations when required to do so.
- Formulates strategic plans for the institution.
- Plans, administers, and controls budgets, maintains financial records, and produces financial reports.
- Establishes operational policies and procedures and makes any necessary modifications, based on analysis of operations, demographics, and other research information.