Sour cherry pie
It's a tart filling with sweet, crunchy almond topping.
Get these things...
Crust and almond topping:
- 2/3 cup whole oats
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup almonds, coarsely ground
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter
- Flaky Pie Dough recipe
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 1/4 pounds sour cherries, pitted
- Pinch of salt
Now, do these things...
1. Preheat oven to 375°. Position a rack in the lower third.
2. Prepare filling: Toss pitted cherries with sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice and salt in a bowl.
3. Bake the shell: Roll chilled pie dough into 12-inch round. Press into 9" pie pan, fold edge under itself and crimp. Weigh down crust with pie weights and bake 30 minutes until crust is light golden brown.
4. Make almond crumble: Grind oats to flour consistency in a food processor. Add all-purpose flour, sugar, cinnamon, salt and whole almonds. Grind until almonds are coarsely ground. Add melted butter and stir.
5. Put it all together: Pour sour cherry filling into pie shell. Spread almond crumble across top of pie.
6. Now bake it: Bake pie in lower third of oven for 60-70 minutes, or until the filling is bubbling, juicy and thick. Remove and cool before serving.