Licensed Practical Nurse
By: Yvonne Betsinger
My career goal is that I will be an Licensed Practical Nurse, aka LPN.
Advantages and Benefits
- Emotionally rewarding
- Promising job outlook
- speedy entry
- Excellent salary
- Length in training
- Chances for advancement
- Work hours
- Physical demands
- Duty limitations
Skills Needed to be Sucessful
- monitoring and maintaining the patient's condition
- check and record the patient's vital signs on a regular basis
- change bandages and dressings and clean around catheters
- perform injections
- treat patients for bedsores or any other minor health issues
- administer medications or start IV drips (In some states)
- LPNs MUST be certified in CPR and life support in case of emergencies
Outlook and Salary
- $14.74/hour ($30,650/year) to $27.44/hour ($57,080/year)
- Median: $19.79/hour ($41,150/year)
- Annual salary: $29,680-$56,010
Outlook: Opportunities will expand by about 22% through the year 2020
RN (Registered Nurse)
In order to become an LPN, after high school you need to attend college and soon after graduating from college you need to work as a Certified Nursing assistant for your first year.
After getting a high school diploma or a GED, you should apply for a training program (this typically is a 12 month program).
I plan to go to Minnesota State University, Mankato
Location: Mankato, MN 56001
Phone: (507) 389-1866
Visit their website at http://www.mnsu.edu/
Housing: different residential communities that vary greatly by size, location, rooms, laundry, etc...
Admissions or Placement tests: top 50% of high school classes have met the college prep standards.
Application form: online
Credit for prior learning: Rolling
Applying from another country:
- April 1 for the August (Fall term).
- September 1 for the January (Spring term).
Applying from in the US:
- June 1 for the August (Fall term).
- November 1 for the January (Spring term).
Percent accepted: 66%
Percent who actually enrolled: 38%
Application Fee: $20 (fee waiver available under certain conditions)
Total annual cost of attendance: about $22,041
Tuition and fees: -In state: $7,557 -Out of state: $5,036
Room and Board: $1,768
Other required expenses (books, supplies): $3,500
Financial aid is avaiable
Financial aid forms: FAFSA
Percent of undergraduates receiving financial aid: 72%
- Women's Swimming
- Ice Hockey
- Men's Hockey
- Women's Volleyball
- Chemistry Club
- Dental Hygienic Club
- Make Your Own (Option)
"Home." Houston Chronicle. N.p., n.d. Web. 17 Oct. 2014.
"InnerBody.com | Your Interactive Guide to Human Anatomy." Innerbody. N.p., n.d. Web. 18 Oct. 2014.
"LPN Classes." LPN Classes. N.p., n.d. Web. 18 Oct. 2014.
"The Licensed Practical Nurse Blog." LPN Careers The Fastest Way to a Nursing Career Comments. N.p., n.d. Web. 18 Oct. 2014.
"Campus Tour at Minnesota State University, Mankato: New Student and Family Programs." YouTube. YouTube, 07 Jan. 2014. Web. 20 Oct. 2014.
"What Is an LPN?" YouTube. YouTube, 15 Nov. 2012. Web. 20 Oct. 2014.