- The urinary system, also known as the renalsystem, consists of the two kidneys, ureters, the bladder, and the urethra. Each kidney consists of millions of functional units called nephrons.
infection Urinary tract infections are a fairly common problem in childhood and may have either a benign course responding to simple antibiotic therapy or be associated urinary systemurinary
The kidneys are located in the middle of the back, one on each side of the spinal column. A kidney is roughly the size of a fist, and it contains filters that remove waste from the blood. The kidneys regulate the amount of water within the body. The kidneys also help regulate blood pressure, produce vitamin D and secrete erythropoietin, a hormone that helps in the formation of new red blood cells.
• All the blood in our body is filtered 400 times through the kidneys every day.
• Urine stays in the bladder for up to 5 hours before discharge depending on the amount of liquid consumed if the urinary system is healthy.
• Nerves send signals to the brain when the bladder needs to be emptied, with this indication you will feel the urge to empty your bladder.
• The bladder swells into a round shape like a balloon when full and gets smaller when empty. However there should be a control limit that shouldn’t be exceeded in situations where we have had to control our full bladder due to unavailability of a restroom.
• The kidney can clean more than 1 million gallons of water in a lifetime, which is more than enough to fill a small lake.