Slaughterhouse Five Movie
BY Michael Bass
Beginning of Novel starts with Vonnegut speaking himself about the bombings of Dresden and then the book shifts narrators to the main character of the story, Bill Pilgrim. Billy is a student before he was drafted in the army he is immediately deployed and fights in the Battle of Bulge. Billy is clearly unfit and serves as a chaplain in the army due to lack of training and his clumsiness. During battle he runs into Ronald Weary and a couple other soldiers, weary becomes angry with Billy and eventually they all become captured by the Germans. Soon they are taken to POW camp where Weary dies and blames Billy for their capture. Paul Lazzaro promises that he will kill Billy for what he had done to weary at the end of the war. Billy later meets Edgar Derby at the camp, they become friends and stick together for most of the book. Eventually they both head to a POW camp in Dresden soon after their arrival the city is bombed laying waste to the city, hundreds of people die and the city is on fire. Billy is forced to clean up all the bodies. Eventually the war ends and Billy returns home marrying Valencia a daughter of a very rich man. Him and Valencia would eventually have two kids Barbara and Robert (Robert is a crazy child and eventually becomes a green Beret in Vietnam). On night of Valencia’s wedding aliens called the Tralfamadorains capture Billy. On the alien’s planet Billy is put in a dome for viewing by the aliens and they have him mate with movie actress Montana Wildhack. He returns to earth saying nothing and eventually Billy is in a plane crash where he suffers major brain damage and Valencia dies from carbon monoxide poisoning in her car. Eventually Billy Speaks out about his travels to the alien planet and predicts his death, he is eventually put into a mental hospital. Throughout the book the story Billy time travels from his life as a POW in Dresden to His life at home after the war. At End of book Billy is back in Dresden and he is clearing bodies and the Russians arrive liberating the POWs and ending the war.
- 1) Destruction of war is a repeated theme throughout the book from discussing the destruction of Dresden to the Stress of Billy’s life after the war. Can connect to today’s society with the destruction of lives in our world today.
- 2) Real vs. Imaginary Theme- what’s real and what’s not real we never know if the character is crazy from events he faced in his past or if what’s happening is real.
- 3) Fate vs. Free will- Theme is that your fate cannot be changed and therefor there is no such thing as free will, which is idea to alter or change something at ones will.
- 1) The bombing of Dresden aftermath and removing the bodies due to creates and supports the horrors that Billy witnessed
- 2) Plane Crash- creates an altered state and realization for Billy to begin speaking public on his knowledge of the future and adventures to alien planet.
Movie Review of 1972 Version
- 1) What the movie showed successfully was the bombing of Dresden and the war events. They allowed to viewer to become emotionally attached to the city and then successfully destroyed the city to crush our emotions and have sympathy for those who suffered.
- 2) The movie however failed at describing the aliens and Billy’s adventures to their planet. Billy was supposed to travel to their planet after his daughters wedding night, which would be his first encounter with these creatures before the plane crash. This however caused the audience to be confused and not understand Billy’s travels.
The movies opening scene will be of Billy on the plane, writing a letter when all of a sudden his plane crashes. Scene goes white and story jumps to Battle of Bulge where younger Billy played by Shia Lebouf appears and soon captured. After capture scene jumps back to normal events after plane crash where he is in hospital bed where his daughter and her husband are by the hospital bed and to tell him of his wife Valencia’s death. That night while in the hospital Billy has another flashback to WW2 where he’s a POW and we intend on keeping same events as in the story except show more brutality by the Germans toward the POWs by having more killings and beatings. He then shifts back to leaving Hospital heading home and eventually attends wedding of daughter and comes into capture of the aliens. The aliens ask him questions about human life and eventually Billy ponders on question and reflects back into Dresden and this time shows the scenery of the city and eventually the bombings. We jump back to the alien planet and Billy meets Montana and they live in the dome on the planet together. Soon he shifts back to earth and is taken into a PTSD treatment center for his insanity due to public speaking about the planet, the aliens, and his new life. While he lies on a hospital bed in the treatment center a famous author is sitting next to him who is trying to justify Dresden and Billy tries to justify that the bombings were horrible. He then falls asleep and drifts back to WW2 and his friend Edgar Derby is killed and finally the war has ended and Billy is set free and eventually able to return home and then the movie ends.
- Billy Pilgrim: Will is played by, Shia Lebouf because he will be best because he is very clumsy in war days and skinny making Shia perfect character. Main scene that Shia will need to show is the scene where German soldiers capture Billy and the others. Is essential that the actor exhibits his clumsiness and weakness throughout the scene in order to successfully show Billy true character.
Theme & Purpose
- Setting: Dresden will be an exuberant city and we will highlight on the beauty of it and then we will display the horror of it after the bombing with fire and destruction of bricks and bodies laying out everywhere. The planet will be in space and inside a dome similar to that of the movie. This is to highlight on the suffering and horrors of war.
- Costumes: Billy will wear Rags in dresden and will wear a chaplain military outfit to show his clumsiness in the war and inexperience with fighting. We will also not show the aliens and instead make the viewer question if they are true. The only sight of the alines will be through their voice. The rags he will wear in dresden will be to show the destruction and horror of the bombing and casualties of war.