Let Girls Learn Initiative
President Barack Obama and the First Lady Michelle Obama work with the Peace Corps and the USAID to help educate girls worldwide. The new initiative is called Let Girls Learn and it will provide education to more than 60 million girls worldwide. They will be working in countries such as, Albania, Cambodia, Japan, and many other countries around the world.
"Every child is precious. Every girl is precious. Every girl deserves an education."-President Barack Obama
Why Educate Girls?
- An extra year of secondary school for girls can increase their future earnings by 10-20%.
- In India, women with no formal schooling are less likely to resist violence than women with schooling.
- In Burkina Faso, educated women are 40% less likely to subject their daughters to genital mutilation.
- Girls with secondary schooling are up to 6 times less likely to marry as children than those with little or no education.
- Each extra year of a mother’s education reduces the probability of infant mortality by 5%-10%.
- If India enrolled one percent more girls in secondary school, their GDP would rise by $5.5 billion.
What Has Been Done Already?
- $1 billion has been invested annually in education programs.
- Trained over 300,000 teachers worldwide.
- 35 million textbooks and teaching materials provided in a single year.
- Helped Ethiopia achieve 95% enrollment in primary school over the past 15 years.
- Since 2006, Helped educate over 375,000 school aged children in Somalia.
- Education programs in 18 African countries.