Lismore, County Waterford, 1627-1691
- First noted by two new scientists, Richard Towneley and Henry Power. Robert Boyle confirmed their discovery through experiments and published the results.
- Boyle's Law is the absolute pressure exerted by a given mass of an ideal gas is inversely proportional to the volume it occupies if the temperature and amount of gas remain unchanged within a closed system.
- Real World Example - 1.driving up or down a mountain, your ears will pop.
2. The popping of a Balloon. When we try to squeeze a balloon we are actually trying to reduce the volume of the gas inside, which increase the pressure.
3. Deep sea fish die when brought to the surface. The pressure decreases as the fish are brought to the surface, so the volume of gases in their bodies increases, and pops bladders, cells, and membranes.