Viral Diseases: Hepatitis by Olivia Simpson
- * Hepatitis is an inflammation of the liver.
- There are 5 main types of Hepatitis ( A, B, C, D and E)
- Hepatitis A and E are usually transmitted through contaminated food and water.
- Hepatitis B and C are transmitted through exposure to infected body fluids.
- Hepatitis D only occurs in people with Hepatitis B.
- The initial symptoms are similar to the flu.
- Loss of appetite.
- Mild fever
- Nausea and vomiting
- Bed rest and taking medications to reduce symptoms.
- Liver transplant may be necessary.
- Antiviral medications
- Hepatitis comes from the Ancient Greek word hepat (liver) and itis which in Latin means inflammation.
- A full understanding of the virus came in 1963 when Dr. Baruch Blumberg detected the presence of Hepatitis B in a blood sample.