8th Grade Health
*Your endocrine system is responsible for the fast growth you experience during your teen years.
*The Endocrine system is made up of glands located throughout the body.
*The endocrine glands work by responding to signals from the brain or from the pituitary gland.
Male Reproductive System
* Sperm is the male sex cell
* Fertilization- when the male's sperm cell meets the female's egg cell
* Problems with the male reproductive system- Injury to the testes, Testicular cancer, Hernia, STD's
Female Reproductive System
* Functions of female Reproductive system- Store egg cells, create offspring, give birth.
* During puberty, egg cells mature and are released by the ovaries in a process called ovulation.
* Problems of the female reproductive system- Infertility, Ovarian cysts, STD's
* Menstruation usually lasts from 5 to 7 days and happens about every 28 days.
* If an egg is not fertilized, the uterus lining breaks down and is shed through the body.
* To reduce Menstrual pain exercise regularly and eat healthy foods.
* Pregnancy s broken into three trimesters or periods of three months
* Babies that are born to females who smoke tobacco can have serious birth defects.
* You can get an ultrasound done during pregnancy, a test in wich you can see the fetus inside the whom.
* Labor is the process in which the fetus is pushed out of the mothers whom.
* In the first stage of labor the woman experiences contractions, to push the child out of the whom.
* In the second stage of labor the cervix is fully dilated and the fetus is pushed out.
* in the last stage of labor the placenta or afterbirth is pushed out.
* Most STD's are contracted through sexual contact.
* You cannot tell if a person has a sexually transmitted disese by their appearance.
*Many STDs have either no or very mild symtoms.
* one symptom that signals the onset of AIDs is the presence of opportunistic infections.
* HIV is spread from person to person through sexual contact with sperm, fluid from the vagina, blood and breast milk.
* HIV does not spread from breathing the air, hugging someone, or shaking hands.
* Abstinence is when you refrain from sexual contact until marriage.
* The only way to insure that you will not contract an STD is to remain abstinent.
* One way to stay abstinent is to communicate your limits with your date.