Swathi, Helena, Alec
Reasons for the Socialist Movement
- communist or classless society
- Higher wages for workers
- emphasized harmony and cooperation
- Workers wanted more rights and unemployment protection
- Minimal standard of living that incorporated health care and education
- Redistribution of wealth through taxes
Socialism vs. Communism
- Socialism is a social and governmental system, based on equality and social and economic justice, that requires government intervention in economic affairs
- The state owns and controls the means of production, distribution, and exchange.
- Socialism is the first step toward communism
- However, socialism differs from communism because it is based on democracy and ethical values and can allow for private ownership.