Biome Project
Deciduous Forest
By Elise Fogle

Locations

The Deciduous Forest is a biome around that world that is uncommon in many places. The most common areas you will find it is eastern half of United States, Canada, Europe, parts of Russia, China, and Japan. These countries use this forest for most of their tree needs. These Deciduous Forests have to adapt to the different areas they grow in or else they will die.

Temperatures and Rainfall

The average temperature of the forest is around 50 degrees Fahrenheit all year round. The winter is a little harder for some of the plants, so their leaves wither and fall off. The average rainfall is about 30 to 60 inches each year. The rain is very important to the forest because not all of the plants keep the water for long periods of time.     

Plants

The Deciduous Forest does not have many plants, but it is filled to the max with many different and beautiful types of trees. The trees of this biome include broadleaf trees such as maple, oak, hickory, and beech. This biome also includes evergreens trees such as hemlock, spruce, and fir. Because there are so many tree, there are many adaptations to talk about. The broadleaf tree family is at it's best during the spring when there is enough sun and water to go around. During the winter the broadleaf tree has too much exposer  to the winter weather, so that have to cut of most of the water supply so that it can survive. When this process occurs, the chlorophyll in the leafs stop working causing the red, yellow, and brown colors of leafs. Because this has happened, the tree has enough water to last it until the next spring.  

Animals

There are many different types of animals in the Deciduous Forest. There are bunnies, squirrels, chipmunks, deer, bears, and foxes. There are also eagles, owls, snakes, birds, salamanders, and raccoon's. Last, but not least there are ducks, lizards, spiders, insects, butterflies, porcupines, and mice. They all have their own adaptations, but must of them just migrate south for winter, so that they may escape the cold. Others find dens, or make holes for themselves in the ground and just sleep through the cold. The animals best weather to live in is when it's warm outside and when there is lots of insects and berries around. Over decades in time animals have died out and become extinct such as the blue spotted salamander, shinned hawk, hog-nosed snake, and the long-eared owl.    

Producers

Oak Tree

Maple Tree

Hickory Tree

Carnivores

Hawk

Owl

Snake

Omnivores

Bears

Birds

Raccoon

Decomposers

Fungus

Worms

Dung Beetles

Food Chain

Food Web

Energy Pyramid

An energy pyramid shows the different levels of organisms in a biome. Pyramids also show the amount of energy that is transferred from one level to the next. The world holds 100% of energy for all life, but only 10% is used in each level of the pyramid. The other 90% that was not used to complete transfers of energy is being used to complete other tasks in our lives. This energy pyramid has 6,000 calories in first level, but as you go up only 600 is now given, than 60, and at the last level 6 calories is all you get. Energy Pyramids are a graphic organizer that has and will help many people understand how calories and energy transformations work.

Trophic Levels

Levels of an energy pyramid are called different trophic levels. There are producers, primary consumers, secondary consumers, and tertiary consumers. On the energy pyramid you see above, there are pictures of animals in the different trophic levels, and I will tell you what they are. In producer there is plants, shrubs, and trees. In primary consumer there is bugs, mice, birds, and deer. In secondary consumer there is hawks, owls, skunks, and foxes. Last, but not least in tertiary consumer there are bears. The level with the most and least energy's are producer and tertiary consumer.

The E