OUR SOLAR SYSTEM
How did the solar system form?
The Solar System was formed about 4.6 billion years ago according to the nebular hypothesis.The hypothesis declares that part of a molecular cloud of interstellar gas(the matter that exists in the space between the star systems in a galaxy. This matter includes gas in ionic, atomic, and molecular form, dust, and cosmic rays.)which was filled with particles of ice, dust, rock, and other particles, collapsed. These clouds collapsed from turbulence that caused it to heat up and eventually turn into a star. Most of the cloud formed the sun. The other material from the cloud flattened around the sun forming a planetary disk aka solar nebula , formed other planets and objects in our solar system. some of the other material form solids and gets bigger when other particles collide and stick together. The ball gets bigger and attracts more dust and ice with its gravitational force , these becomes the cores of planets.
How old is the Solar System?
Scientist have determined that the solar system is approximately 4.6 billion years old
How are Jovian planets different from Terrestrial planets?
These Planets are larger in size and masses. Jovian planets are not solid. Commonly known as the Gas Giants because they are large and mostly made of gases. Jovian planets are located farther from the sun , therefore they are cooler than terrestrial planets. The atmosphere of the Jovian planets in our solar system are made mostly of hydrogen and helium , Compounds containing hydrogen, such as water, ammonia, and methane, are also present.
Terrestrial planets are smaller in size and mass. These types of planets have solid rocky surfaces with metals deep in its interior.These planets are closer to the sun, therefore they are warmer than Jovian planets.The atmospheres of Terrestrial planets range form thin to thick. Mercury has basically no atmosphere , Venus has a thick atmosphere made of carbon dioxide , trapping in heat and raising surface temperatures. clouds from Venus are formed by Sulfuric acid. Earths atmosphere is made of 77 percent nitrogen, 21 percent oxygen, and 1 percent argon, with different amounts of water vapor, and other amounts of other gases.
What gives planets their different colors?
The color of the planets depned on the compounds that are on the planets and how close they are to the sun.
- Mercury: A grey color with craters. The color comes from the Iron and other heavy coumpunds on the planet.
- Venus: Appears to be a yellowish color, this is because of the sulfuric acid in the thck atmosphere. The actual Color is really a grey color like Mercury and the moon.
- Earth: From space Earth is viewed as blue with patches of Green , white , and brown. 70% of Earth is water. Earth has a thick atmosphere that protects it from radiation , from space it appears white.
- Mars: Reddish color , resulted from the rust of the rocks, visible because there is almost no cloud coverge.
- Jupiter : Composed of hydrogen and helium. Jupiter has sulfur whcich gives it a diry yellowish hue. there are spots of other colors on the planet. Results of violent storms that occur there. The Great Red Spot is the most famous storm on the planet.
- Saturn: Bands of orange and white. Amonia forms the clouds of white ,while ammonia hydrosulfide creates the orange clouds.
- Uranus: light -blue green in color , there is a large amount of methane gas in the planet that causes this.
- Neptune: Neptune is also blue because there is a significant amount of methane in the planet. Neptune is a darker blue than Uranus because it is farther from the Sun.
Why does Neptune look blue?
Neptune get their color from methane , Uranus is blue but Neptune has an unknown component that makes it appear a vivid blue.
What is the great red spot on Jupiter?
The great red spot on Jupiter is a atmospheric storm that has been raging in Jupiter for at least 400 years. The spot rotates counter clockwise , it makes a full rotation every six days. It is not known what causes the spot's reddish color.The most popular theory, states that the color may be caused by complex organic molecules, red phosphorus, or other sulfur compounds.
What are Saturns Rings?
Saturns rings are believed to be pieces of comets, asteroids or shattered moons that broke up before they reached the planet. Each ring orbits at a different speed around the planet. Saturns ring are by far the biggest of all Gas Planets. They have a thickness of about one kilometer (3,200 feet) or less, they span up to 282,000 km (175,000 miles).Saturn has seven ring groups composed of thousands of smaller rings. saturn has 62 moons.
Why is venus upside down?
Venus is completly upside down compared to the other planets.Venus is the only Planet in the solar system that rotates backwards. Venus rotates clockwise while the other planets in out solar system rotates counter- clockwise. It is possible that Venus was knocked upside down by huge impact during its early history. Earth's tilt causes it to have different seasons ,Without a significant axial tilt, Venus doesn’t have seasons like this. The temperature of Venus is 462°C everywhere on the whole planet.
Why isn't Pluto considered a Planet?
Because of new Space observations , The pervious understanding of our solar system has be en changed. Pluto and its moons are now known to be just a large collection of objects called the Kuiper Belt.there are at least 70,000 icy objects, with the same composition as Pluto . According to the "New rules" of the Solar System , Pluto is just another object of the Kuiper Belt.
R.I.P " PLANET PLUTO" 1930-2006
Has life ever existed on any other planet than Earth?
There is no eveidence that life has been found on any other planet than mars. Researchers are looking for signs on planets that carry water.