Genetic Disorders Assignment
SBI4U - Block 5: Protein Synthesis
Using the internet, find a genetic disorder that is caused by a mutation in a gene. Answer as many of the following questions about the disorder as possible.
You are going to synthesize all the information below and create a tack with the following information. Your target audience are university students who are seeking references about the following genetic disorder.
- Where is the gene located (chromosome number, gene locus)?
- What type of mutation causes the disorder (refer to section 5.6 in text)?
- What is the function of the protein the gene codes for?
- What effect does the mutation have on the structure of the protein the gene codes for?
- What is the mechanism of the disorder (what effects does the alteration in function of the protein have on the workings of the cell and the body)?
- Diagram of the wild type and mutated type protein and the pathway
- What are the symptoms of the disorder?
- Can the disorder be treated? If so, how?
Provide video clips, images that you think are relevant and important in sharing to your audience.
- Minimum of 3 journal articles.