A Vertebrae Adventure- Omaha Zoo Trip 7-3
African Moony - FISH
The African Moony Fish has two large fins. One at the top and another one at the bottom. These fins help the fish move faster, yet smoother way.
Scientific Name: Monodactylus icoasts
Biome: Estuaries, mongroves, and coasts
Home Range: Eastern Atlantic, Canary Islands
Habitat: Water, water, water, oh and surface of water. CAN NOT LIVE IN SALT WATER!
Fish Adaptations Species Adaptations
1. Air bladder lets it float and swim 1.It's interesting shape helps move 2. Scales that help protect more easily and more smoothly the fish body 2.Gills that help it breathe 3. The fins and tails on a fish help 3. Has bigger fins on the top and bottom it move and swim. 4.Can be in degrees up to 70-90 4. Lateral lines detect movement 5. Lives in schools 5. Nictating membranes
Scientific Name: Rana mucosa
Biome: Rocks, water, swamps, lakes
Home Range:Southern California, Rain forests around the world.
Habitat: Southern California and High Sierra Mountains.
Amphibian Adaptations Species Adaptations
1.Frogs have long legs to jump. 1. Has skin that adapts to weather 2.They use their throat to 2.Can Detect things moving. talk and call. 3.The Yellow Legged frog can move fast. 3.Their eyes are on top of their head, 4.Has LONG toes more aware of surroundings. 4.Can jump really really far 4.The tongue is longer so they 5. Can change color can catch prey.
5. Is very hard to see where it lives.
Desert Tortoises love the heat so they often just rest in the sun.
Scientific Name: Gopherus agassizii
Biome: Sand, dry lands, sometimes shady areas
Home Range: Western Mojave desert, Nevada, California, Arizona,
NATIVE TO NORTH AMERICA.
Habitat: Deserts, usually sitting on rocks, in the SUN.
Reptile Adaptations Species Adaptations
1. Thermoregulation. 1. Skin adapts to high heat. 2.Have longer legs so they absorb 2.Has claws to dig and kill prey less heat while running. 3.Bladder, holds 40% body weight 3.Can burrow into the ground 4. Habitat can get up to 140 degrees to get cool. 5. Huge shell protects 4.Scales 5. Carapace for protection
Scientific Name: Coracias cyanogaster
Biome: wooded areas, trees, rocks, rivers
Home Range: Savannas, Central Africa
Habitat: Wooded areas in Savannas
Bird Adaptations Species Adaptations
1.Feathers 1. Small beak to get food
2.Beaks, bills 2. Small so its harder to get
3. Wings 3. Can fly just right above ground
4.Well developed brains 4. Captures prey fast
5.Light weighted 5. Happen to be really great flyers.
Scientific Name: Panthera tigris tigris ENDANGERED
Biome: Forests, woody areas, has to live near water, plants.
Home Range: India, Bangladesh, China, Siberia, Indonesia
Habitat: Forests, often against trees, by rivers
Mammal Adaptations Species Adaptations
1. Fur 1. Has huge claws
2. 4 chambered heart 2.Carnivores
3. Usually live in groups 3.Can roar loud to scare predators
4.Mammary Glands 4. Strong jaw with teeth.
5. WELL- developed brains 5.Strong sense of smell.