Wholeness, Not Perfection
We all struggle with the following:
- Believing we can be loved
- Balancing all parts of ourselves
- Freeing ourselves from “hooks” that want to control us
- Learning self-restraint
Write your responses to the following questions in your notes:
- What is your reaction to this commercial?
- In what other ways do you see this desire for perfection demonstrated in our society? Here at Mitty?
- Reflect on what other short-term pleasures exist in our society (like superficial beauty demonstrated in this video). List some of these short-term pleasures.
- How do you think this keeps young people (and adults) from achieving the virtue of wholeness?
What is it to become "hooked?"
Becoming "hooked" means we are compelled with a desire within, a craving, or an urge.
- What other "hooks" do we encounter in our lives?
- How do we become "un-hooked"?
Short-term vs. Long-term Pleasures
Consider the following question and discuss with your partner:
How do we work to minimize short-term pleasures and build up long-term pleasures? Brainstorm a list of at least four ways we can accomplish this goal.