7th-Grade English Portfolio
My Portfolio Reflection
1. How would you describe your writing at the beginning of the year and how would you describe it now?
- I would describe my writing at the beginning of the year harder than now. Since I wasn't here in the beginning of the year, it was kind of hard for me to read and write and explain what I read, but I kept getting better and better. I think now was better because sometimes it would be fun because I know what I'm doing and I would get what I read.
2. What do you consider your writing strengths? Explain.
- I don't really have that many writing strengths. I think even though I just started 7th grade English this semester, I still need to improve more. I think personally that I'm kind of good at brainstorming ideas and notes and it's really cool because I understand it more.
3. What writing skills do you need and/or want to continue to develop next year? Explain.
- The writing skills that I need to develop this year, is writing more essays and reports. I think it will help me because since I just came to 7th grade English this semester I need and want to improve by it by practicing more from the essays and reports.
4. What piece of writing from this year best captures your growth as a writer and thinker? Explain why.
- The piece that I really liked this year, and that I really think it helped me is The Outsiders. I feel like it was The Outsiders because first, the book got me and I understood everything in that book, and second, I liked how I wrote all that and its kind of exciting for me because I haven't done that before and I think it helped me be a better writer and thinker.
5. What piece of writing from this year are you most proud of? Explain why.
- One piece that I'm proud of is The Outsiders essay. I'm proud of that because even though I needed help with reading and understanding the book. I liked the book so much and it made me determine to finish what I started, so I liked how I finished my essay like a boss.
The Diary of Anne Frank.
Everyday when I wake up and I do my chores, I see kids playing and running around school. When I see that, it just makes me think about the things that has been taken away from me. It’s really depressing because since I’m Jewish and I am home schooled its very different. Also, since I live with my little sister Cathy and my twin brother Armin, its really boring because we have no friends. Sometimes I even cry at night because none of my friends would talk to me, and I see children playing outside and my friends just ignoring me when they see me.
One time, I had dreamed that I went outside with my mom and dad. There was a school across from us with young children playing, except for one girl sitting alone. She looked depressed with no one to talk to her or do anything with her, just ignore her. I ran up to her, sat next to her, and said
“ Hey , are you okay?” She looked at me with tears in her eyes and answered
“ Oh , hi … yeah Im fine!”
I asked “What is your name?” She said
Right there when I woke up I just started to cry. I got dressed, ate breakfast and washed the dishes. The dream kept coming up and I couldn’t help but to cry again.
When we finished dinner I went in my room and tried to sleep, because the dream was probably the most happiest moment so far, it's the best thing thats ever happened to me so far out of this whole thing. I fell asleep. I dreamed of her agian.
“Jessica” she said.
I said “Are you Jewish?”
“No, Im German” she said.
I said “Oh , why are you sitting here alone?¨
“Because , I hate how everything has been around here” She said.
“Me too” I said .
“I lost 2 of my best friends” she said.
I grabbed her hand, and we went to my front yard and started playing. She had to go back, so she left and went back to school. That’s when I woke up and started thinking really hard about everything in my dream. I sat down on the porch just looking at the school and how the kids are playing when I saw a girl sitting on a rock. She was drawing .
I went up to her and said “Hi, My name is Elli”. She sat there and looked at me for a while and said “Hi, my name is Liz”. I complimented on the drawing that she drew. We started playing with each other on the field . Every day before we would meet at the secret hiding place , I would do my chores . Liz and I would talk about how everything has changed for her family and mine. When I would walk home , I would talk to myself and say “ Even though shes German and her parents don’t like Jewish people she likes me for who I am,” I smiled. In conclusion, now, everyday when i wake up and do my chores , I see all of those kids including Liz, it makes me know that I have a FRIEND, and that I’m not alone!
Hero’s Journey Essay
Ponyboy is not generally a hero in this novel, but he sends these kinds of connections that makes him a hero to the people who read it, like messages. Ponyboy, the main character experiences a lot of things between his brothers, school, etc. This is also about how socs and greasers didn't really like each other in lots of ways. In the novel ¨The Outsiders¨ by S.E Hinton is a monomyth because Ponyboy goes on a heroes journey.
Ponyboy experiences The Separation from the known when Darry slaps Ponyboy and he runs away with his best friend Johnny. When Ponyboy gets slapped so hard he ended up on the floor, Darry shouts, “I didn’t mean to! I didn’t think, I forgot!”. In the heroes journey, The Separation from the known is when the hero leaves his everyday life, and doesn’t feel comfortable around anyone or anything. In The Outsiders, Ponyboy experiences something he never thought would come to him. As Darry slaps Ponyboy, its really surprising. For me, it’s surprising because as the story said, no one has ever hit Pony, not even his parents. Ponyboy is really sad because he never has experienced something so painful and thats the first time he has. Thats why I think that is probably the The Separation part.
In conclusion, the novel “The Outsiders” Ponyboy finally learns a lot from the whole Heroes Journey adventure. Darry and Pony are always going to be brothers no matter what. Even if Darry does things to Pony, and Pony making stupid decisions. even if that happens, they got each others backs. So, the lesson of this story that connects to the real world is probably that you shouldn’t do dumb little things and run away from it, just stand up for yourself or let it go.