College And Career
Alcorn State University & Cosmetologist
I chose this college, because it's close to home and I love the campus. Also my older sister, LaBrittany, said so many wonderful things about the college and campus itself after she took a tour herself. In addition to my sister's words about the college, I actually did research myself and I found that the college has so much to offer. I like the way the campus is set up and the programs and studies it has.
Alcorn State University is an all-African-American school. It has three colleges, located in Lorman, Natchez, and Vicksburg Mississippi. Full scholarships plus an allowance for books are awarded to community college transfer graduates. They are known as the home of the Braves and they are well known for their outstanding football team.
There are five ways to gain Freshman Undergraduate admission to Alcorn State University:
- Complete the College Prep Curriculum as listed below with a minimum 3.2 GPA.
- Complete the College Prep Curriculum with a minimum 2.5 GPA and score at least 16 or higher on the ACT (at least 790 on the SAT) or rank in the upper 50% of your class and score at least 16 or higher on the ACT (at least a 790 on the SAT).
- Complete the College Prep Curriculum with a minimum 2.0 GPA and score 18 or higher on the ACT (at least 870 on the SAT).
- Satisfy the NCAA standards for student-athletes who are "full qualifiers" under Division I guidelines.
- Summer Developmental Program
Congratulations and welcome to Alcorn State University! The Department of Residence Life provides a safe, diverse and well maintained environment that supports the academic mission of the University. We seek to create a dynamic living/learning experience that promotes and inspires individuals to become empowered community members.
- All residence halls offer controlled card access entry, 24-hour camera surveillance monitoring and hall staff on each floor. In addition, University Police Officers frequently patrol the residential communities.
- All residence halls are equipped with computer labs, limited wireless access, vending machines and laundry facilities. All student rooms are fully furnished with beds, desks, chairs, wardrobes/closets and chests.
- Living on campus means being at the center of classes, student activities and more!
- Students who live on campus show a higher scholastic performance and are more likely to graduate than those who live off campus.
- Professional and student staff are ALWAYS available and offer a diverse range of programs to meet the needs of students from time management to salsa dancing!
I would like to be a cosmetologist when I graduate from college. I want to do this job because I really enjoy giving the people something that makes them feel good about themselves. Doing someone's hair can possibly brighten up their day, also many jobs are offered to the ones who can do so. People are paid everyday and hired for many event just to do someone's hair, makeup, nails, and skin care. When being a cosmetologist one can enter their work into a competition and win money.
In the beauty industry, a cosmetologist is more than just a hairstylist - they are people on the cutting edge of trends and styles in hair and beauty techniques, and they can transform their clients from simple to spectacular in a single sitting. According to the Princeton Review, cosmetologists “are often the initiators of style and change.” As one, you must learn to cut, color and style all types of hair, as well as do straightening, permanent waves, curling, weaves, extensions and other hair services.
Occupation: Hairdressers, Hairstylists, and Cosmetologists
Level of Experience Hourly Annual
Entry Wage $8.75$18, 200
Median Wage $11.26$23, 420
Experienced Wage $15.62$32, 480
Letter of Intent
El Paso, Texas, 79938
May 14, 2015
12704 East Montana
El Paso, Texas, 79938
To whom it may concern,
I am responding to the employment opportunity that was presented to me by word of mouth. Please accept this letter and accompanying resume as evidence of my interest in applying for this job. I feel my experience and fast learning skills would prove to be an asset for your organization. I am looking for an honored job that will add experience to meeting deadlines and being in a work place. Here are some of my key strengths that I would bring to the position. I am confident that these qualities make me an excellent candidate for this position.
- 1. Disciplined
- 2. An excellent communicator
- 3. Very willing and eager to learn new things
- 4. Great team worker
- 5. People’s person
- 6. Proficient in MS power point, Excel and Internet
I would appreciate your consideration of my credentials, and I welcome the chance to meet with you to hear more about your company, the requirements of the position, and how my skills would be a good fit.
Thank you in advance for your consideration.
Erica Renee Edmonds
I want to Graduate High School with a 4.0 GPA
Aug. 2014 - To Present
El Dorado 9th Grade Academy
El Paso, Texas
Sept. 2013 - May 2014
Hernando Middle School
1/2 of 8th
El Paso, Texas
Aug. 2013 - May 2014
Leesville Junior High
7th and 1/2 of 8th
Aug. 2011 - May 2012
Vernon Middle School
5th and 6th
Mar. 2014 - May 2015
El Paso, Texas
Sept. 2011 - Sept. 2014
» I babysat her 3 boys while she was away or in the hospital
Awards & Certificates
» National Honor Society (Aug. 2010)
AVID, Step Team, Music, Honor Society
Hobbies & Interests
» Doing Hair
Skills & Abilities
» People person
» Team player
"Admission Requirements." Alcorn State University. N.p., n.d. Web. 28 Apr. 2015. <http://www.alcorn.edu/admissions/admissions-requirements/index.aspx>.
"Application." Alcorn State University. N.p., n.d. Web. 28 Apr. 2015. <http://www.alcorn.edu/data/files/gallery/ContentGallery/First_Time_Enrollee_Applicationrev1.pdf>.
The Austin American-Statesman 8 Apr. 2015. Student Resources in Context. Web. 13 Apr. 2015. <http://ic.galegroup.com/ic/suic/NewsDetailsPage/NewsDetailsWindow?failOverType=&query=&prodId=SUIC&windowstate=normal&contentModules=&display-query=&mode=view&displayGroupName=News&limiter=&currPage=&disableHighlighting=false&displayGroups=&sortBy=&search_within_results=&p=SUIC&action=e&catId=&activityType=&scanId=&documentId=GALE%7CA408838763&source=Bookmark&u=j071909010&jsid=e7e9982efc3fbd74d21174f510879f00>.
Beauty Schools Directory. N.p., n.d. Web. 27 Apr. 2015. <http://www.beautyschoolsdirectory.com/faq/cosmetologist.php>.
"Campus Living." Alcorn State University. N.p., n.d. Web. 28 Apr. 2015.
Career Cruising. N.p., n.d. Web. 27 Apr. 2015. <https://www2.careercruising.com/careers/Earnings/514>.
"Do You Love Alcorn." YouTube. N.p., n.d. Web. 28 Apr. 2015. <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDFHHu2k-1I>.
Google Maps. N.p., n.d. Web. 28 Apr. 2015. <https://www.google.com/maps/place/Alcorn+State+Universityemail@example.com,-91.142499,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x8628b3e00cb6da33:0x2fd5d7f877404bf5?hl=en>.
"Portraits in Black history." St. Petersburg Time Online Floridian. N.p., n.d. Web. 28 Apr. 2015. <http://www.sptimes.com/2002/11/26/Floridian/Beauty_endures.shtml>.